Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks August 8
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Fasig-Tipton De La Rose Stakes
1. #3 Viadera (6-5) – Has won her last three with close finishes, and has yet to lose at this distance in five tries, the clear favorite here
2. #1 Hendy Woods (6-1) – Also strong at the distance, but will need a bit more pace to close into as she has shown a good closing kick when hitting the stretch as the leader
3. #7 Regal Glory (9-5) – The other Chad Brown trainee who is two for two at the Spa and has plenty of class, runs best when close to the lead with fair fractions
Race 8 – Grade II Adirondack Stakes
1. #9 Microbiome (5-1) – Won impressively by five lengths in her maiden try, plus Gaffalione and Amoss have a strong percentage together
2. #2 Ontheonesandtwos (5-2) – Nearly won her stakes debut last time, gets Irad Ortiz, and should handle the added distance well
3. #8 Mainstay (3-1) – Was second all the way around in the Grade III Schuylerville, and will probably struggle if on the front end, but can still hang on in the money
Race 9 – Grade III Saratoga Oaks Invitational Stakes
1. #1 Higher Truth (5-1) – Close last time in the Grade I Belmont Oaks, and should continue to improve here for Chad Brown
2. #7 Creative Truth (7-2) – Mike Smith stays in town for this mount only, which is a sign that this filly is live and should run well in her North American debut
3. #5 Con Lima (7-2) – Can control this race which nearly worked last time at a similar distance, but needs little pressure early if she wants to hang on
Race 10 – Alw 90000n1x
1. #5 Saratoga Flash (9-2) – Nearly closed last time and gets an extra furlong here, so coming from off the pace seems to be his best style and can work in this field
2. #10 Chrome Dixie (5-1) – Might not win, but is typically in the mix and should be good value to play in exotics here
3. #4 The Golden Door (8-1) – Adding blinkers may help put this gelding closer to the lead, as he has made good late moves but is usually too far back to catch up to the leaders
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.