Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks August 1
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 6 – OC 80000n2x
1. #5 Miss Teheran (7-2) – Lost two heartbreakers in a row as the post-time favorite, but this Brown trainee looks like the one to break through here and get the second turf win of her career
2. #1 New York Girl (5-2) – Probably one that will be over-played because of her class, but still can get a good trip if she closes into a hot pace that should occur here
3. #7 Enola Gay (9-2) – A grade II winner who hasn’t run since September, still worth a play in this solid group if she can revert to form from last year
Race 7 – OC 80000n2x
1. #5 Mr. Phil (8-1) – Has won four of eight so far this year, and just seems to be in top form with some decent speed in a relatively paceless race
2. #3 Town Classic (2-1) – Finishes second and third at an alarming rate, finally picking up a win this year as an eight year old, should finish in the money here
3. #6 Aloha West (3-1) – Capable runner who drops out of a stakes race and has had some good efforts this year, but seems to want more distance and ran his best race at seven furlongs
Race 8 – Clm 40000n2L
1. #9 Princess Pinky (8-1) – Improved greatly when switching to the turf for the first time, and gets another crack at it here with good value and a solid jockey trainer combo this year
2. #10 Summer in the City (7-2) – Pletcher trainee drops from open allowance company and should improve with class relief, and keeps Irad Ortiz in the irons
3. #2 Mirabell Mei (9-2) – Has made some big closing moves in her career, and probably not one that will win here, but playable if she is the right price and can finish in the money
Race 9 – Grade II Amsterdam Stakes
1. #3 Jackie’s Warrior (6-5) – Lost to Drain the Clock last time out, but a half furlong less and he wins there, plus two wins in as many tries at Saratoga bodes well here
2. #2 Drain the Clock (2-1) – Probably another two horse race between this colt and Jackie’s Warrior, as he has shown the ability to beat the morning-line favorite and could do so again
3. #4 Flash of Mischief (10-1) – River Dog is probably slightly better, but this colt always brings his A-game and clearly runs best at shorter distances
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
Happy DeFrancis Dash day! There’s 11 races on today’s card, including four stakes. John Piassek has the card covered here.
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.