Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks July 24
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 5 – Grade I Coaching Club American Oaks
1. #1 Malathaat (2-5) – Will be tough to beat in a four horse field, especially considering this unbeaten filly is the only one here with a win at the distance
2. #4 Clairiere (9-5) – Clearly the next best, but with a lack of pace here, putting in a strong closing effort against Malathaat may be a tough ask
3. #3 Rockpaperscissors (15-1) – The longest shot takes a step up and will probably finish well behind, but could be worth a small win/place play if she holds on to the lead long enough
Race 8 – Mdn 100k
1. #1 Split Then Double (3-1) – This Chad Brown trainee has suffered two tough beats at the wire but has shown the most talent and should be closing strong late
2. #3 Rastafara (5-2) – The Chad Brown morning line favorite, this filly has taken money in the past and should like the slight distance cutback after hanging in the stretch in her two tries
3. #7 Vintage Style (8-1) – Drops out of a stakes try after some promising second place finishes at seven and a half, and should be a solid price here
Race 9 – Alw 103000n1x
1. #8 Flash Magic (7-2) – Seven furlongs is the right distance for this filly who got her breakthrough win last time out and consistently puts in strong efforts
2. #6 Caramel Swirl (5-2) – Drops from a grade II where she didn’t quite belong, but her win two back at the distance is good enough to win in this field
3. #7 Zainalarab (4-1) – This filly by War Front didn’t take a major step forward last time out, but still has two of the better tries of this field and can compete if she improves off a layoff
Race 10 – Grade III Caress Stakes
1. #1 Caravel (7-5) – Gets Irad and should be sitting off Robin Sparkles and others in the right spot for a win in the stretch and is four for four at the distance
2. #2 Robin Sparkles (6-5) – The most speed of this field, broke her maiden in claiming company last year here, and hasn’t lost on the turf when breaking with the lead
3. #5 Flower Point (8-1) – Keeps Rosario for McGaughey, and has the right closing style that is best suited for an upset win here with plenty wanting the lead
Race 11 – Alw 90000n1x
1. #7 My Lips Are Sealed (7-5) – Ran well last time against a filly who ran in yesterday’s grade III Lake George, and seems to be a cut above the others especially with a slow early pace
2. #6 Just Ok Is Not Ok (6-1) – Broke her maiden by being more forwardly placed, and has shown improvement in every race so a continued ascent offers good value for a potential win
3. #8 Choose Happiness (8-1) – Steps up from claiming races, but has run well on the turf recently, and could be one to sneak in and hit the board at a decent numbers
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents another midweek card!
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Pimlico.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.