Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks July 21
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 1 – Jonathan Kiser Novice Stakes
1. #6 A Silent Player (6-1) – Comes off a good win last time out, and has consistently finished strong in all his starts plus should be a solid price
2. #3 The Mean Queen (6-5) – Two wins in two career starts, this five year old mare will run against the boys for the second time and has the most upside here
3. #4 Fast Car (7-2) – Has his best effort here last year before failing to finish in a stakes later in the meet, and is the only to win at this distance
Race 9 – OC 100000n3x
1. #2 Forza Di Oro (9-5) – Has only had one poor effort in his career, and drops out of a grade III which he won, but will need a repeat of that performance after a near eight month layoff
2. #3 Highest Honors (5-2) – After running fifth in the Travers two years ago, this five year old came back in April and had a breakthrough win last month which may indicate a return to form
3. #6 Trident Hit (12-1) – Empty Tomb may have a better chance to finish in the money, but this four year old should be sitting right off the leaders with the upside to make a move late
Race 10 – MC 40000
1. #1 Mommie’s Jewel (5-1) – Keeps Jose Ortiz in the irons after last race where he nearly won as the post time favorite
2. #4 Fast Gordon (2-1) – Has been solid on the turf in four tries, plus drops from state-bred maidens into maiden claiming, which should lead to improvement
3. #11 Boom Boom Kaboom (10-1) – First time gelding had some decent efforts at Saratoga in this company last year, and returns to a shorter distance he is more comfortable with
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.