Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks July 21
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 1 – Jonathan Kiser Novice Stakes
1. #6 A Silent Player (6-1) – Comes off a good win last time out, and has consistently finished strong in all his starts plus should be a solid price
2. #3 The Mean Queen (6-5) – Two wins in two career starts, this five year old mare will run against the boys for the second time and has the most upside here
3. #4 Fast Car (7-2) – Has his best effort here last year before failing to finish in a stakes later in the meet, and is the only to win at this distance
Race 9 – OC 100000n3x
1. #2 Forza Di Oro (9-5) – Has only had one poor effort in his career, and drops out of a grade III which he won, but will need a repeat of that performance after a near eight month layoff
2. #3 Highest Honors (5-2) – After running fifth in the Travers two years ago, this five year old came back in April and had a breakthrough win last month which may indicate a return to form
3. #6 Trident Hit (12-1) – Empty Tomb may have a better chance to finish in the money, but this four year old should be sitting right off the leaders with the upside to make a move late
Race 10 – MC 40000
1. #1 Mommie’s Jewel (5-1) – Keeps Jose Ortiz in the irons after last race where he nearly won as the post time favorite
2. #4 Fast Gordon (2-1) – Has been solid on the turf in four tries, plus drops from state-bred maidens into maiden claiming, which should lead to improvement
3. #11 Boom Boom Kaboom (10-1) – First time gelding had some decent efforts at Saratoga in this company last year, and returns to a shorter distance he is more comfortable with
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents another midweek card!
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Pimlico.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.