Cathryn Sophia unanimous in Top Midlantic-bred Poll
Stellar Wind broke her maiden at Laurel Park. Photo by Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club.
- Cathryn Sophia (MD) — Filly bred in Maryland has won 3 graded events, including G1 Kentucky Oaks, and was unanimous choice as best region-bred 3yo
- Tom’s Ready (PA) — Best seasonal result was win in G2 Woody Stephens
- Mor Spirit (PA) — Has not raced since finishing 10th in G1 Kentucky Derby; won G3 Bob Lewis early in the season
- Lucy N Ethel (PA) — Undefeated filly returned from 8-month layoff to win G2 Prioress at the Spa
- Sunny Ridge (NJ) — G3 Withers winner was a good third in G1 Haskell off 4-month break
TOP OLDER HORSES
- Stellar Wind (VA) — Bested champion Beholder in spirited battle in G1 Clement Hirsch last out
- Page McKenney (PA) — Likely out for the remainder of the season with injury; earned best result winning G3 General George in Februrary
- Illuminant (PA) — Filly won the G1 Gamely in last start
- Finest City (PA) — City Zip filly has a G2 victory and three graded placings this year, including 3rd in G1 Vanity Mile
- Valid (VA) — Hard-knocker won G3 Skip Away in last start, in April; has placed in three graded events this year
Six of the top 10 horses were bred in Pennsylvania. Two were bred in Virginia, with one each in Maryland and New Jersey. The list includes five males and five females.
The monthly Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred is the only publication devoted to Thoroughbred breeding and racing in the Mid-Atlantic region. The Racing Biz, an online publication, is the independent voice for mid-Atlantic racing and breeding.
The poll is restricted to horses that have run in 2016 and were bred in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, New Jersey, Delaware, and the Carolinas.
- Cathryn Sophia (MD) — 55 points
- Tom’s Ready (PA) — 37
- Mor Spirit (PA) — 23
- Lucy N Ethel (PA) — 16
- Sunny Ridge (NJ) — 14
Others receiving votes: Dark Nile, Giant Run, Morning Fire
- Stellar Wind (VA) — 39
- Page McKenney (PA) — 24
- Illuminant (PA) — 23
- Finest City (PA) — 22
- Valid (VA) — 16
Others receiving votes: Disco Chick, Green Gratto, In The Fairway, Long On Value, Spelling Again, Raging Smoke, Sonny Inspired, Two Notch Road, Ben’s Cat
Participating Voters: Ted Black (freelance writer), Michael Campbell (Thoroughbred Breeders’ Association of New Jersey), Joe Clancy (Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred), Cindy Deubler (Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred), Linda Dougherty (freelance), Debbie Easter (Virginia Thoroughbred Association), Anne Frederick (Maryland Horse Breeders Association), Rich Glazier (Delaware Park), Cricket Goodall (Maryland Horse Breeders Association), Jim Hague (freelance), Nick Hahn (freelance), Carol Holden (West Virginia Breeders Classics), Tom LaMarra (The Blood-Horse), Jeff Nations (freelance), Kate Painter (West Virginia Thoroughbred Breeders Association), Vinnie Perrone (freelance), Frank Petramalo (Virginia Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association), Gary Quill (The Racing Biz), David Richardson (Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association), Brian Sanfratello (Pennsylvania Horse Breeders Association), John Scheinman (freelance), Sal Sinatra (Maryland Jockey Club), Dan Tordjman (freelance), Frank Vespe (The Racing Biz), Bill Watson (freelance), Lydia Williams (freelance), Bobby Zen (freelance).
Note — Not all participating voters will vote in every poll.