YESTERDAY’S NEWS: Around the horn
- Tip Tap Tapizar rallied late to defeat last-out Laurel Park maiden winner Holiday Bonus in the Sapling Stakes at Monmouth Park.
- Pennsylvania-bred Lucy N Ethel scored a $47 upset in the G2 Prioress at Saratoga.
- Political sorts rejoiced when Jump for Trump broke her maiden at Timonium in one of two maiden special weight events on the card. Set for Six narrowly prevailed in the other.
- Class and Cash was up late to prevail in the top race on Parx Racing’s Sunday card, a $54,000 allowance contest. Runner-up Unbridled Giant fouled a rival late and was disqualified from second and placed sixth in the race.
BY THE NUMBERS: HANDLE
- MonmouthPark: $3,168,230
- Parx Racing: $1,349,852
- Tracks in action: Monmouth Park, Timonium, Delaware Park, Parx Racing.
- It’s closing day at Timonium today, with a nine-race card on tap. The featured eighth is a $35,000 allowance/optional claimer in which Right Squall is favored at 5-2. The 21-time winner, trained by Gerry Brooks, has earned over $445,000 in his career and will be ridden by Gerald Almodovar.
- Juvenile fillies take center stage at Monmouth Park in the Sorority Stakes. Steve Asmussen, who won the Sapling yesterday with Tip Tap Tapizar, sends out the favorite here, Made Me Shiver, who is 8-5. Antonio Gallardo has the mount.
- Four stakes are on tap at Parx Racing this afternoon, including a trio of Grade 3 events. In the Greenwood Cup, Hawaakom (8-5) is favored off a win in the West Virginia Governor’s Stakes at Mountaineer. For the first time in several years, this year’s wide-open renewal of the Turf Monster does not include Ben’s Cat but does include a salty group of contenders. Alan Goldberg trainee Pool Winner (5-2) is favored. Parx’s last prep for the Grade 2 Pennsylvania Derby, the G3 Smarty Jones, has attracted a full field of 14, with the stakes-placed Rudy Rodriguez trainee Voluntario (7-2) the tepid favorite.