(Photo of California Chrome by Laurie Asseo.)
The National Thoroughbred Racing Association today released its latest Top Thoroughbred Polls for all horses and for three-year-olds for the week ending March 20.
The full lists are below.
The twin polls are voted on by dozens of journalists and broadcasters, with points awarded on a 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis. Forty-four voters participated in this week’s polls.
- Cupid is new to the Top Three-year-old Poll. The son of Tapit posted a front-running score in the Grade 2 Rebel Stakes Saturday at Oaklawn Park and checks in at number seven on the list.
- Suddenbreakingnews leaves the Top Three-year-old Poll, replaced by Cupid. Suddenbreakingnews ran fifth as the favorite in the Rebel. He had been ranked ninth.
- The Top Thoroughbred Poll was identical to last week’s version.
- Two horses bred in the mid-Atlantic are among the top three-year-olds.
- Pennsylvania-bred Mor Spirit is sixth in the poll. He most recently was second in the Grade 2 San Felipe March 12 and owns a pair of graded stakes wins.
- Maryland-bred Cathryn Sophia remained 10th in the poll. She is undefeated in four starts and is pointed to the Grade 1 Ashland at Keeneland for her next start.
The full results for both NTRA weekly Thoroughbred polls can be found on the NTRA website.[su_box title=”NTRA TOP THOROUGHBRED POLL” style=”glass”]THROUGH MARCH 20, 2016
TOP THREE-YEAR-OLD POLL
- DANZING CANDY
- MOR SPIRIT
- GUN RUNNER
- CATHRYN SOPHIA
TOP THOROUGHBRED POLL
- CALIFORNIA CHROME
NOTE: The Racing Biz correspondents Nick Hahn and Frank Vespe are voters in the NTRA Top Thoroughbred Poll.