In our Big Move of the Week, we feature one horse each week who impressed and might warrant a spot on your watch list. For the week through March 15, that horse is Easy River
EASY RIVER FILE [su_divider top=”no” style=”double” size=”9″]
[su_list icon=”icon: check”]
- Last race: Sent off as the 7-2 second choice in a field of eight at Laurel Park on March 13, Easy River made a bold four wide move on the turn to propel himself to a 1 3/4 length victory in a first-level allowance race for three-year-olds. Running time for the six furlongs was 1:11.84. Under Jevian Toledo, Easy River was more than eighth lengths behind and in fourth after the leaders zipped the opening quarter mile in 22.79 seconds. But he made up 6 1/2 lengths during the second quarter and swept by the field to open up a three-length lead leaving the furlong grounds.
- How fast?: The 1:11.84 running time seems like a solid effort. Older $11,000 claimers navigated the same distance in almost exactly the same time — 1:11.78 — one race prior, when Risky Guy ran down Manando late.
- Breeding and auction history: Maryland-bred Easy River is a colt by Not for Love out of Potomac Bend, a graded stakes winning mare by Polish Numbers. Easy River was bred Dr. & Mrs. Thomas Bowman, Dutrow Thoroughbred Ent, Inc. & Rebecca Davis. Kathleen Willier purchased Easy River at the Fasig-Tipton 2014 Midlantic Fall Yearlings Sale for $60,000.
- Connections: Easy River is trained by Hamilton Smith for Kathleen Willier. He was ridden to victory last out by Jevian Toledo.
- Video: When the video below begins, Easy River is in fourth and about to make a big four-wide move.
(Music used in this video: First Call, by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com), Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/)