There’s not a ton of stakes races this weekend in the mid-Atlantic — just two, one at Monmouth and one at Delaware — but there’s plenty of other activity to catch the eye.
- Laurel Park will host its annual fall Champions Handicapping Tournament, and the tournament is offering a new first prize this year: free entry into the Breeders’ Cup Betting Challenge! This is a terrific (and valuable) prize, and if you haven’t entered yet, well, what are you waiting for?
- On Sunday at Pimlico, the Retired Racehorse Training Project (here) will hold its Thoroughbred Makeover. They’re helping 26 off-track Thoroughbreds find new careers in other disciplines, and The Racing Biz will be there to cover it.
- It’s closing weekend at Monmouth Park — last chance to visit one of America’s great racetracks before racing shifts to the Meadowlands for 10 days of all turf racing — starting October 11 and ending November 2.
- We’re also just about at the end of the line for Delaware Park. Closing day is Wednesday, October 9 — just three more racing days to go.
- Here on The Racing Biz, look for our own “Possibly Not Exactly Quite Champions Handicapping Tournament” on Saturday. We’ll turn our handicapping experts loose on the same cards as Laurel’s tournament, and may the best man or woman win!
- Also tomorrow, look for Gabby Gaudet’s longshots and exotic plays!
And now, without further ado, the weekend’s top races:[table id=36 /]