- Maryland-bred champions of 2017 announced at inaugural Renaissance Awards February 13, 2018Skeedattle Associates’ Just Howard, winner of the Grade 3 Commonwealth Derby at Laurel Park as part of a four-race win streak over the summer of 2017, took home top honors as Maryland-bred Horse of the Year, champion 3-year-old male and champion turf horse. The announcments were made at the inaugural Renaissance Awards, a cooperative effort […]
- 2017 Maryland Breeder, Broodmare and Stallion of the Year Awards February 6, 2018Breeder of the Year: HOWARD M. BENDER Longtime Maryland breeder Howard Bender, one of the state’s most admired and respected figures, earned his fifth Maryland Breeder of the Year award posthumously for a year in which runners he bred earned more than $1.2 million and included Maryland-bred champion finalists Blu Moon Ace and Just Howard. […]
- 2017 Annual Top 2-Year-Old Rankings January 31, 2018Bolt d’Oro, a multiple Grade 1 winner, and Good Magic, winner of the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile-G1, were both assigned the high weight of 126 pounds to top The Jockey Club’s Annual Top 2-Year-Old Rankings, formerly known as the Experimental Free Handicap, for 2017. The highest weighted filly, at 123 pounds, was Caledonia Road, winner of […]
- Special Recognition for Equine Program January 23, 2018The Maryland Horse Breeders Association is proud to announce that the University of Maryland Equine Studies Program and Dr. Amy Burk will be honored with a Special Recognition Award on Maryland Horse Industry Day in Annapolis on January 30. Read More ...
- First reported Maryland-bred foal and first for Country Life stallion Mosler January 17, 2018The Dance With Ravens mare Touch the Birds, owned by Becky Davis in partnership with her parents Tom and Chris Bowman, foaled a filly by Mosler on Jan. 5 at Roland Farm in Chesapeake City. The filly is the first Maryland-bred foal reported to the MHBA in 2018, and the first for her sire, a […]
- Maryland Thoroughbred Industry
Renaissance Awards Finalists Announced January 17, 2018Baltimore, Md.—In a cooperative effort between the Maryland Horse Breeders Association, Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association and Maryland Jockey Club, an annual event has been created to recognize the best of Maryland racing and breeding from the previous year. The Maryland Thoroughbred Industry Renaissance Awards will be presented to the top Maryland owner, trainer and jockey, […]
- Timely victories give Indian Paint’s ‘owners’ top prize in Challenge January 5, 2018From Fantasy Owners Day website A timely and successful trip to Pennsylvania in September proved the deciding move that gave Gunpowder Farms’ Indian Paint the top spot in the 2017 Fantasy Ownership Challenge sponsored by the Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association, Maryland Jockey Club and Maryland Horse Breeders Association. Read More ...
- Late legend Ben’s Cat wins 2017 Secretariat Vox Populi Award December 22, 2017(From Secretariat.com press release) The late Ben’s Cat, four-time Maryland-breed Horse of the Year and beloved equine hero, has been awarded the 2017 Secretariat Vox Populi Award, or “Voice of the People,” with record-breaking voter participation. The award, created by Secretariat’s owner Penny Chenery, annually recognizes the horse whose popularity and racing excellence best resounded […]
- Upswing at Fasig-Tipton Midlantic December Mixed sale December 6, 2017Returning to its customary December slot on the calendar for the first time since 2014, the Midlantic December Mixed Sale posted gains in gross, average, and median over its contemporary, the Midlantic Winter Mixed Sale held this past January. Multiple stakes-placed 3-year-old Carradine (Hip 256) topped the sale at $105,000, puchased by his trainer Linda […]
- Classic-placed Divining Rod to Country Life Farm December 6, 2017Country Life Farm, Antony Beck’s Gainesway Farm, and Roy and Gretchen Jackson’s Lael Stables have formed a partnership to stand the Jacksons’ homebred Divining Rod at the Bel Air, Md., farm in 2018. The 5-year-old dark bay son of Tapit will stand for $5,000. Gainesway Farm, where the legendary Tapit stands, will be sending 10 […]