Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks September 5
In Spa Selections, Saratoga correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Follow along all meet with all the exciting action (and good betting opportunities)!
- Laurel Park picks and ponderings: October 7, 2022We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
Race 3 – Grade III Bernard Baruch Handicap
1. #6 Emaraaty (6-1) – Clearly one that likes Saratoga, picking up his third win here a month ago with one of his better efforts, and seems to be peaking at the right time with good value
2. #2 Mouillage (2-1) – This colt has hit the board in all twelve tries, including a narrow loss last time in a grade III against Mira Mission who ran well in the Sword Dancer so is a threat here
3. #5 City Man (8-5) – Ran maybe his best race last time in the Grade III Forbidden Apple, and will need a repeat of that effort to win here but not great value if at this price
4. #1 Ocala Dream (10-1) – Gets the slight nod over Winters Back because this colt has raced this year and seems to fare well at this distance
Race 10 – Alw 115000n1x
1. #5 Shalimar Gardens (3-1) – Gets some class relief after running last time against Search Results, and might be the best of this field going eight furlongs
2. #1 Cocktail Moments (5-1) – Another one who comes out of races against better, but may need some early pace here to be able to close in the stretch
3. #7 Wicked Hot (6-1) – This Maryland bred filly ran well last time with a more aggressive approach, and should put forth a good effort with a stalking trip here
4. #3 Jane Grey (9-2) – This Godolphin filly by Into Mischief has been improving and has put in some good speed figures plus has run well over this track
Race 11 – Grade I Hopeful Stakes
1. #5 Mo Strike (5-2) – Finished strong in the Grade III Sanford, and has the ideal running style for younger colts stepping up into a seven furlong try
2. #6 Blazing Sevens (4-1) – This colt by Good Magic crushed his field first time out, and can be dangerous with improvement here
3. #4 Gulfport (9-5) – Got beat by a better horse in the Grade II Saratoga Special, but this colt is still dangerous if he breaks sharply and grabs the early lead
4. #3 Bourbon Bash (6-1) – Got beat soundly by Blazing Sevens first time out, but returned to win by eight and showed a bit more upside than Forte
Race 12 – Alw 95000n1x
1. #1 Cupid’s Heart (7-2) – First time lasix filly comes off a bullet work and drops from a stakes race at Aqueduct in the fall, probably the best here if she runs sharp
2. #6 Ribot’s Valentine (5-1) – Dominated her maiden field last time out, and could be a factor with another step at what should be good value
3. #2 Tosconova Beauty (9-2) – Has mostly been beating up on lower class Finger Lakes fields, but ran a close third when shipping here in early August, so shouldn’t be outclassed
4. #7 Fancy Feline (6-1) – Has been putting forth good efforts in this class, plus keeps Saez here and ran two of her better races off the bench