Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks August 25
In Spa Selections, Saratoga correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Follow along all meet with all the exciting action (and good betting opportunities)!
- Born Dapper scores in off-the-turf SelimaWith the Selima Stakes taken off the turf, Born Dapper didn’t miss a beat, cruising to a 3-length win for her first in stakes company.
Race 8 – Maiden 105k
1. #5 Tizzy in the Sky (2-1) – Maybe not one that makes the most sense as a favorite here, but with a few coming out of the same slow-paced maiden here a month ago, take this new shooter
2. #6 Dover Dreams (12-1) – Didn’t break well last time out and still closed to within five lengths, but this filly by Arrogate can still run much better with a more favorable trip
3. #7 Liquidity Provider (5-2) – Narrowly lost by a head last time even after sitting off a modest pace, but could still likely win here with a slight improvement from that trip
4. #2 Alessia (8-1) – Was a huge longshot in her debut but still managed a close third with a good speed figure that could put her in the mix with this group
Race 9 – Riskaverse Stakes
1. #11 Wonka (6-1) – Draws the outside post which makes this an uphill battle, but should be good value dropping from a grade III, and seems to be improving with every start
2. #3 Skims (9-2) – Comes from three straight graded efforts, and even if this filly by Frankel has come up short in stretch runs, she has enough talent to beat this field
3. #5 Canisy (7-2) – Controlled a slow pace last time in an optional claimer here a month ago, but can come from off the pace too and should be competitive here
4. #6 Customer List (5-1) – Not the most dazzling filly given the connections, but a more forward trip and better circumstances gives this one winning chances here
Race 10 – Claiming 35000n2L
1. #7 Uncle George (4-1) – Since breaking his maiden impressively two years ago, this gelding has sputtered, but drops into claiming company for the first time and has Rosario here
2. #6 Digital Future (5-2) – This Klaravich first time gelding broke his maiden here last year and comes off a long layoff, but gets a big plus based on the class drop alone
3. #1 Spettro (6-1) – Castellano and Morley have had a great meet together so far, with this one getting the benefit of running a true turf sprint for the first time where he could have the lead
4. #12 Napa Spirit (12-1) – Tough post makes this an exotics play, but first time gelding and lasix for this Brendan Walsh trainee who comes off a year long layoff