Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks August 13
In Spa Selections, Saratoga correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Follow along all meet with all the exciting action (and good betting opportunities)!
- Art Collector scores in G1 PegasusArt Collector drew off in the stretch for a dominant win at long odds in Saturday’s G1 Pegasus World Cup at Gulfstream Park.
Race 4 – Grade II Saratoga Special Stakes
1. #2 Damon’s Mound (7-5) – This one will likely remain the second choice and was every bit as dominant as Gulfport last time, although he may need Super Chow to apply early pressure
2. #4 Gulfport (4-5) – If this colt by Uncle Mo gets away from the field early and avoids Super Chow, he should win barring a torrid pace, as he has won easily in both starts
3. #3 Valenzan Day (12-1) – Didn’t break well last time and had too much ground to make up, but could be one at a nice price to be running late and hit the board with a better break
4. #1 Super Chow (8-1) – This one comes off a huge workout and has the early speed to contend with Gulfport, but needs to go an extra furlong and a half this time around
Race 9 – Maiden 105k
1. #2 Leading Contender (8-1) – Rosario has an impressive winning percentage when riding for Chad Brown, and this colt by Gun Runner looks ready in his debut
2. #1 Unlimitedpotential (3-1) – This Pletcher and Repole runner gets Irad Ortiz as a part of an entry, and comes off an impressive work a week ago
3. #8 Final Approach (6-1) – Another first timer who starts for D. Wayne Lukas and is hard to pass up purely based off the impressive works including two bullets
4. #7 Happy Bob (9-2) – First time lasix and maybe the sharpest of those who have run before, but needs to finish a bit better in the stretch this time to have a chance
Race 10 – Grade I Fourstardave Handicap
1. #3 Regal Glory (6-5) – Has won all three at Saratoga and is just a step better than these if he runs his best, plus has good versatility which gives him options here
2. #1 Casa Creed (5-2) – Maybe not one that will win, but should be closing late even though he probably prefers to go shorter and can get a winning trip with the right pace set-up
3. #4 Masan (2-1) – Chad Brown’s other runner who doesn’t quite have the speed figures and class of Regal Glory, but comes off a grade III victory and should get a good stalking trip here
4. #5 Get Smokin (8-1) – One that likes to grab the early lead and will likely do so here, but holding leads has been an issue, although he can still hang on to hit the board
Race 11 – MC 40000
1. #7 Greg’s Honor (3-1) – Loses Rosario but picks up Irad Ortiz, and should be running late especially if there is some early pace if someone presses Smart Joker
2. #2 Smart Joker (6-1) – Showed improvement with the switch to turf last time and should be near the early lead, maybe takes another step forward with another turf try
3. #9 Calloway Peak (8-1) – Adds blinkers and improved his positioning with the class drop last time out, but can’t be as far back this time and needs to break a bit better here
4. #5 Left On Boylston (6-1) – In both tries at this distance, this gelding finished third, but is another who tends to rate and may need pace to aim at