Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks August 5
In Spa Selections, Saratoga correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Follow along all meet with all the exciting action (and good betting opportunities)!
- ARCI urges delay in new HISA rules implementationCiting a court ruling that the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act (HISA) is unconstitutional, ARCI has called for a delay in rules set for Jan. 1.
Race 8 – Grade II National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame Stakes
1. #7 Double Clutch (5-1) – This colt made a nice closing move last time out in the Manila, and appears to be trending up in just his fourth start
2. #6 Ready to Purrform (9-2) – Has run in four straight stakes races, and is routinely a short price, should be closing late with Rosario
3. #8 Celestial City (6-1) – Castellano may need to have this colt by Uncle Mo a bit more forward than usual here, but has run back to back solid races in the money
4. #3 Wit (4-1) – First time turfer for Todd Pletcher who won the Grade III Sanford here last year, the surface chance is interesting for this one who still has plenty of talent
Race 9 – Grade III Troy Stakes
1. #5 Golden Pal (1-2) – Clear winner if he runs his race, but may be pressed by Carotari if both horses break well which makes this more difficult
2. #4 Carotari (6-1) – The only one who is likely to be near Golden Pal early, and nearly won this race last year plus has put forth two good efforts at Saratoga before
3. #7 Thin White Duke (30-1) – Three races at the Spa and three seconds, this four year old gelding has been unlucky in the past, but runs best going shorter and needs to break well here
4. #3 Arzak (9-2) – Has run from up on the pace and as a closer, which gives Rosario some options as a few here are likely trying to go all out from the jump and hang on late
Race 10 – MC 25000
1. #7 Skyward Princess (7-2) – Adds blinkers, and despite not improving much with the class drop last time, this one can be a factor if more involved with the early lead
2. #6 Wicked Lady (5-2) – Hoping for some improvement with the class drop into claiming company, although her first two races may be good enough to win here
3. #4 Big Bean Christine (7-2) – Actually has had some of the best speed figures recently and is the most experienced, with a pretty good chance to hit the board here among this company
4. #3 Regal Rebel (6-1) – Hasn’t been close in four tries, but another one that drops to maiden claiming for the first time and has had good breaks from the gate in the past