Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks August 3
In Spa Selections, Saratoga correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Follow along all meet with all the exciting action (and good betting opportunities)!
- Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks August 14In Spa Selections, our correspondent provides his Saratoga picks for key races on today’s Saratoga card!
Race 1 – Jonathan Kiser Novice Stakes
1. #7 Burn the Evidence (7-2) – Finished second to Down Royal who just came back to win the Grade I A.P. Smithwick, so should run well here second time out
2. #6 Decisive Triumph (9-2) – Has been consistent as of late, and even if this nine year old gelding doesn’t win, hitting the board seems likely
3. #1 Perfect Tapatino (6-1) – Comes off a dominant nineteen length victory, and had two solid efforts here last year finishing second and third in two starts
4. #3 Going Country (5-1) – Hasn’t run as well since stepping up into higher class races, but his past form suggests an ability to compete with this group
Race 5 – Maiden 105k
1. #5 Sosua Summer (2-1) – Has shown some early speed but cuts back in distance and has enough experience to take them gate to wire here
2. #1 Java Buzz (9-5) – Ran a close third last time out, and has an unfamiliar yet strong jockey trainer combo that is live here
3. #2 Upper Level (4-1) – Faded in the stretch last time, but runs a furlong shorter and switches to turf which could lead to some improvement
4. #3 Rocket’s Red Glare (6-1) – This first time starter can be played out of uncertainty with others in this group, and gets Irad Ortiz here
Race 6 – Maiden 88k
1. #7 Smoke Eyes (7-5) – This two year old by Nyquist probably has the best connections of this field, and it is tough to make a case for others who are mostly first timers
2. #5 Lady Jasmine (4-1) – Velazquez and Donk team up with this two year old who has been training well over the Saratoga track, and should be a factor with a good break
3. #4 Dream on Cara (6-1) – She left some to be desired in her debut, but could improve on a distance stretch and has a jockey trainer combo that has won two of three together this meet
4. #2 Bernt Again (12-1) – Luis Saez will likely have this filly up on the lead first time out, and should be solid value with Schettino who has two wins in four tries this meet
Race 9 – OC 62500n2x
1. #3 Princess Fawzia (6-1) – Hopefully will be better value than the morning line odds, but looks to be rounding into form here and is due for a win but needs some pace to close into
2. #4 Poca Mucha (6-1) – Tough to pass up Rosario on the turf, and this one’s best effort came two back with Rosario in the irons who has been riding well for Mott
3. #1 Rocky Sky (1-1) – Part of a Chad Brown entry, has run respectably in her last two against better, and should improve here but others are more proven
4. #6 Bramble Bay (12-1) – Angel Palm has the connections, but needs the right trip and this one has been very consistent with a good chance to finish in the top four