Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks July 21
In Spa Selections, Saratoga correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Follow along all meet with all the exciting action (and good betting opportunities)!
- Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks August 14In Spa Selections, our correspondent provides his Saratoga picks for key races on today’s Saratoga card!
Race 7 – OC 80000n3x
1. #6 Big Package (3-1) – Turf course is dry, but this one could get the right set up even at this distance to close here, but will need to be a bit closer to the leaders than usual
2. #2 Principled Stand (5-2) – The most obvious given the connections and running style, this one wins if he doesn’t get pressured from Artemus Citylimits
3. #5 Artemus Citylimits (7-2) – Has hit the board in all but one start on the turf, and can win here if he gets the early lead but his success depends on the break
4. #3 Maxwell Esquire (5-1) – Some solid efforts at Saratoga in the past, might be one that is past his racing prime but can close strong here with a hot pace
Race 9 – Rick Violette Stakes
1. #4 Dakota Gold (4-5) – Not a lock here by any means, but competitive in the Breeder’s Cup Juvenile Turf and a winner of her other three put her above the rest class wise
2. #7 Practice Squad (9-2) – Has run well at this distance but seems to fade towards the end of races, so will likely need softer fractions to have winning chances here
3. #3 Coinage (5-2) – Based on class, the only one who can compete with the favorite, and despite some recent distant finishes should improve on the class drops alone
4. #5 Timbuktu (8-1) – Showed some nice promise last time out finishing a near second, broke his maiden here last year but might need more pace than what is in here to close from mid pack
Race 10 – Maiden 105k
1. #5 Margaret Burbidge (5-2) – This Wesley Ward two year old draws Irad Ortiz Jr. first time out and should be well-suited for the turf
2. #6 American Rockette (3-1) – Two year old filly by American Pharoah has a familiar jockey trainer combo, and comes off a solid four furlong work before this debut effort
3. #2 Sugar Mamas Cakery (8-1) – Was a distant sixth in her first start, but switches surfaces and comes out of a maiden 120k
4. #1 Tell Me When (10-1) – Coming from a maiden claimer first time, this filly adds blinkers and could be an early pace-setter here which is dangerous on this turf course and distance