Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks August 25
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – Alw 50000s
1. #7 Top Gun Tommy (4-1) – Has some potential to wire here, but best if he sits off the leaders and saves energy for the stretch
2. #5 Winter Pool (2-1) – Back to back near losses, but this gelding by Curlin seems due for a breakthrough win with the right set up
3. #8 Giocare (6-1) – Had a strong effort last time in this company at this distance, and closed well despite a lack of early pace so can run well here if the pace is hot
Race 9 – Johns Call Stakes
1. #3 Shamrocket (5-2) – Consistently finishes in the money, and even with a lack of wins is one that should close and hit the board with Rosario
2. #1 Red Knight (5-1) – Has won over a third of his races on the turf, and with plenty of back-class this seven year old could be dangerous here
3. #4 Ajourneytofreedom (7-2) – Won his only try at Saratoga last time out, but this time steps back up in class and may find it difficult to win but distance should be no issue
Race 10 – Clm 35000n3L
1. #10 Come Storming (6-1) – Drops from allowance company where she ran well with Rosario last time out, but this mare may need some early pace to close into here
2. #9 Joqular (8-1) – Won last time at this distance, and keeps Castellano for Linda Rice first off the claim, plus has shown good form recently
3. #2 Kitten’s Romance (6-1) – Five finishes in the money in her last six tries, and plenty of near wins for this filly who has been good on turf
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Pimlico.
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents another midweek card!