Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks August 15
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – OC 80000n1x
1. #5 Mira Mission (7-2) – Near winner in his last two, keeps Jose Lezcano and has shown enough consistency to win here
2. #1 Hidden Enemy (6-1) – Drops from the Grade I Belmont Derby, and despite struggling in tougher fields, some class relief and a closing running style could get this colt in the money
3. #12 Shady McGee (8-1) – Never explain may find it difficult to add and extra sixteenth, but this Maker trainee has been competitive amongst better, and has upside here
Race 8 – Clm 16000
1. #4 Mongolian Humor (3-1) – Three in a row in the money, including some good efforts this summer, won last time out after a six day rest, should be in good form here
2. #7 Absolute Love (5-2) – Winner of two in a row, most recently at the Spa, but will need to prove that this distance is right for her as she typically goes longer
3. #8 Jessica (15-1) – Has run her best at seven furlongs, picks up Rosario here, plus should be good value in an underachieving field
Race 9 – Galway Stakes
1. #8 Bye Bye (5-1) – Cuts back to a distance that she prefers, should be sitting mid pack with a good chance to close if Rosario keeps her closer to the leaders
2. #7 Goin’ Good (3-1) – Strong in the money, and with the right running style to be sitting off of Wink early, plus Gaffalione and Cox have been good together
3. #2 Tuscan Queen (6-1) – Wink has upside here at a better price, but this filly won convincingly last time out breaking her maiden over this turf course
Race 10 – Clm 40000n2L
1. #4 Kubie Snacks (10-1) – Was much improved after switching to turf, then ran well last time and has a good jockey trainer connection that is three for eight this past year
2. #5 Mirabell Mei (5-1) – Drops from allowance company and has strung a couple good efforts in a row, just needs to make her move earlier or sit a bit closer to the leaders
3. #10 Sengekontacket (8-1) – Summer in the City seems to want shorter, and Amortization will be bad value, so take a chance with this filly who should be in the mix
We’ve got Charles Town picks and preview today as the track presents its Friday card!
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.