Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks August 14
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – Alw 103000n1x
1. #3 Ten for Ten (9-2) – Disappointing last time out, but breaking strongly will be the key here and if this colt can do that, he has a good chance of leading the whole way
2. #4 Speaker’s Corner (6-1) – Strong jockey trainer combo and gets lasix for the first time, plus is one of three with a win at this distance
3. #5 Ducale (9-5) – This Brad Cox trainee started to draw away in his maiden win earlier this meet, and got a strong speed figure that try, but may need a repeat performance or better to win
Race 9 – Grade II Saratoga Special Stakes
1. #2 Gunite (5-1) – With a lack of runners that have shown speed, this colt by Gun Runner adds blinkers and won near the front last race, so he could be a gate to wire winner here
2. #11 High Oak (12-1) – Should be long odds in here and won narrowly in his debut, but comes off a bullet work and should appreciate the added distance
3. #7 Double Thunder (6-1) – Doctor Jeff has more upside, but this colt is coming off a grade III win, and could be a closer if somehow the early pace is a bit fast
Race 10 – Grade I Fourstardave Handicap
1. #5 Set Piece (5-2) – Can’t be eleven lengths back like last race, but this closer has won his last three and is coming off a bullet work in top form
2. #8 Blowout (6-1) – Will be difficult to go wire to wire with Whisper Not providing pressure, but this one has never finished out of the money and should hold on here
3. #1 Raging Bull (9-5) – Got Stormy might be better value and will be in a better spot, but this six year old keeps Irad who has ridden him well and seems due for a good effort here
Race 11 – Alw 90000n1x
1. #9 Dr. Duke (9-2) – The clear speed here, and should see improvement after a tough effort on an off track last time, plus finished close in a stakes try in March
2. #7 Luna’s in Charge (5-1) – Has had winning troubles, but his only race on turf came last year at Saratoga as a strong second place finish, so returning to the grass bodes well here
3. #2 Neuro (4-1) – Took fourteen tries to finally break maiden, but this colt by Freud may have found his race in turf sprints, and can compete here
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
We’ve got Charles Town picks and preview today as the track presents its Friday card!