Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks August 6
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Grade II National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame Stakes
1. #2 Public Sector (2-1) – Chad Brown trainees are hard to pass up in this race, and the right running style should allow him to run by Original and other front runners in the stretch this time
2. #1 Annex (10-1) – Had some strong wins in stakes races earlier this year, and if he reverts to that form this colt by Constitution can win here
3. #4 Easy Time (6-1) – Could even make a case for longer shots like In Effect, but if this race has as much pace as it seems, this colt should be sitting in the perfect spot right off the leaders
Race 8 – Alydar Stakes
1. #7 Jesus’ Team (7-2) – Maybe hasn’t looked as good this year, but worth a play at the right price and can close with Night Ops if someone pressures Art Collector early
2. #8 Night Ops (9-5) – Five second place finishes in seven tries at this distance including three in a row, definitely will be in the mix but needs to right set up to win
3. #4 Art Collector (3-1) – The only one with multiple wins at this distance, and the best if he reverts to last year’s form, plus gets Saez who should put him on the lead for his preferred style
Race 9 – Grade III Troy Stakes
1. #7 Imprimis (3-1) – Difficult spot with two accomplished runners breaking from the outside posts, but this seven year old may get revenge after being disqualified in this race last year
2. #8 Carotari (15-1) – Two impressive works in a row and one of his better career races at Saratoga means this one looks ready to put his best foot forward for an upset try
3. #6 Gear Jockey (12-1) – Probably others better in here, but this colt won his first race at this distance a couple weeks ago here, and has been good at hitting the board on the turf
Race 10 – MC 40000
1. #9 Partner’s Hope (9-2) – Ran against better company in open maidens, and despite only one close finish, switching to turf might be the change needed to reach the winner’s circle
2. #10 Run Dilly Run (10-1) – Nearly won last time and will be a fair price on the board, might need a bit of pace to close into if he stays near the back again, but showed a step up
3. #1 Digital Software (7-5) – Could play Bail Out to finish in the money at a better price, but this Klaravich gelding has more upside and can win with improvement off of his last effort
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Pimlico.
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents another midweek card!