Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks August 4
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 5 – New York Stallion Series Stakes
1. #5 Sport Model (8-5) – The only non MTO entry who has multiple wins, and will likely be the favorite because of the lack of success of others as much as her own wins
2. #1 Funwhileitlasted (5-2) – Was closing in on Sport Model in the last New York Stallion Stakes at Belmont, and despite coming up short, an extra furlong here could be all she needs
3. #2 Byhubbyhellomoney (8-1) – Stretches out in distance after two solid efforts in a row, plus switches back to turf where she broke her maiden but still needs to improve
Race 8 – Shine Again Stakes
1. #4 Casual (7-2) – Has been really close to grabbing her first stakes win, and with the right pace set up, this filly by Curlin can close in the stretch here
2. #2 Aunt Kat (7-5) – Should be on the front end, and even more encouraging than her three wins in a row this year is her recent four furlong bullet work over the Saratoga training track
3. #1 Bayerness (8-5) – Won’t be as good of value as someone like Honor Way, but seems like a good play to at least hit the board
Race 9 – OC 100000n3x
1. #2 L’imperator (5-1) – Chad Brown and Irad Ortiz team up with this first time gelding who disappointed last time out, but comes off a long layoff and drops out of a Grade III
2. #7 Bodecream (7-2) – A red hot jockey trainer combo on a gelding who always puts forth great efforts, seems like this one is close to the winner’s circle almost every race
3. #8 Argonne (5-1) – An interesting play here who gets Saez back and has run her best when aggressive early, with only a couple others who like the front, she could be dangerous here
Race 10 – Alw 50000s
1. #10 Ocean Air (7-2) – Her race last time out was one of the best of this field, and a repeat of that may be good enough to beat this group
2. #5 Kitten by the Sea (4-1) – Has run well at this distance and is experienced at Saratoga, with a forward trip she could be dangerous here
3. #2 Be Up (8-1) – Drops from a stakes effort, and could fly under the radar for good value in this field plus Hohoho gets a tough post draw
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Pimlico.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.