Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks August 4
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 5 – New York Stallion Series Stakes
1. #5 Sport Model (8-5) – The only non MTO entry who has multiple wins, and will likely be the favorite because of the lack of success of others as much as her own wins
2. #1 Funwhileitlasted (5-2) – Was closing in on Sport Model in the last New York Stallion Stakes at Belmont, and despite coming up short, an extra furlong here could be all she needs
3. #2 Byhubbyhellomoney (8-1) – Stretches out in distance after two solid efforts in a row, plus switches back to turf where she broke her maiden but still needs to improve
Race 8 – Shine Again Stakes
1. #4 Casual (7-2) – Has been really close to grabbing her first stakes win, and with the right pace set up, this filly by Curlin can close in the stretch here
2. #2 Aunt Kat (7-5) – Should be on the front end, and even more encouraging than her three wins in a row this year is her recent four furlong bullet work over the Saratoga training track
3. #1 Bayerness (8-5) – Won’t be as good of value as someone like Honor Way, but seems like a good play to at least hit the board
Race 9 – OC 100000n3x
1. #2 L’imperator (5-1) – Chad Brown and Irad Ortiz team up with this first time gelding who disappointed last time out, but comes off a long layoff and drops out of a Grade III
2. #7 Bodecream (7-2) – A red hot jockey trainer combo on a gelding who always puts forth great efforts, seems like this one is close to the winner’s circle almost every race
3. #8 Argonne (5-1) – An interesting play here who gets Saez back and has run her best when aggressive early, with only a couple others who like the front, she could be dangerous here
Race 10 – Alw 50000s
1. #10 Ocean Air (7-2) – Her race last time out was one of the best of this field, and a repeat of that may be good enough to beat this group
2. #5 Kitten by the Sea (4-1) – Has run well at this distance and is experienced at Saratoga, with a forward trip she could be dangerous here
3. #2 Be Up (8-1) – Drops from a stakes effort, and could fly under the radar for good value in this field plus Hohoho gets a tough post draw
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
Happy DeFrancis Dash day! There’s 11 races on today’s card, including four stakes. John Piassek has the card covered here.
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.