Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks July 30
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – Alw 103000n1x
1. #2 Galawi (5-1) – Closed into a slow pace last time breaking his maiden in his first try in North America, should be a solid price and will like the softer turf if it is on
2. #8 Compliant (3-1) – This five year old horse has been in the money in six of seven career starts, and even with plenty of layoffs seems primed for a good showing here
3. #3 Mud Pie (8-1) – Broke his maiden at a mile and a half, so distance isn’t an issue, but placement will be key for this colt who can come from far back or sit off the leaders early
Race 9 – Curlin Stakes
1. #6 Collaborate (6-1) – After a tough Florida Derby, this colt by Into Mischief has improved, with his best effort last time out up on a quick pace and still with plenty left to win convincingly
2. #4 First Captain (7-5) – The most likely, as this undefeated colt by Curlin was impressive in the Dwyer, but still unproven and might not be great value to play here
3. #2 Snow House (8-1) – Drops from the Grade III Dwyer with First Captain, and despite fading in the stretch there, he was up on a fast pace and could improve closing with strong connections
Race 10 – MC 40000
1. #5 Lookin to Fly (4-1) – Take To the Tune and Lemon Taffy on an off track, but this filly has been consistently solid and should like the distance stretch here
2. #10 Highway Queen (3-1) – This filly by Super Saver improved with the surface change and drop into claiming company, and could take another step forward with another try in this class
3. #6 Mill Stone Creek (10-1) – A good race last time and has run her best on turf, so could be good value here
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Pimlico.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.