Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks July 25
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Alw 50000s
1. #3 Master of Hope (9-2) – Slight distance cutback might not be ideal, but the favorite is vulnerable here if she goes out too fast
2. #7 Kaely’s Sister (3-5) – The most likely winner if the half isn’t forty-five or under, and jockey Luis Saez has been on a tear with front-running contenders
3. #2 Cadea de Prix (6-1) – Has won four of eight at this distance, and despite struggling in allowance company, this mare gets Irad Ortiz and can hit the board with a good effort
Race 8 – OC 80000n2x
1. #12 No Word (7-2) – Brutally tough field and difficult post, but this colt has come close to taking down some of the best turf runners in the division, and can win if in good form off a layoff
2. #11 Cavalry Charge (12-1) – Another with a tough post, but since switching to turf, this Dallas Stewart trainee has put forth strong efforts in allowance company but will need a good break
3. #4 Value Engineering (9-2) – Some others here who may be better value or more likely winners like City Man or even stablemate Olympico, but this horse has hit the board in every try
Race 9 – Grade III Shuvee Stakes
1. #7 Royal Flag (5-2) – Race sets up perfectly for this five year old mare who nearly won this last year and returns to her ideal distance for trainer Chad Brown
2. #4 Dunbar Road (2-1) – Chad Brown’s classier and more accomplished mare by Quality Road who won the Alabama two years ago hasn’t been in top form and needs pace to win
3. #6 Crystal Ball (4-1) – With some likely pressure from others, it will be difficult to maintain a lead especially at this distance, and holding on in the money would be good here
Race 10 – Clm 20000
1. #8 Mubarmaj (8-5) – Taking this five year old on top isn’t necessarily an endorsement of his talent, but more so reflective of this subpar field; his last race wins here
2. #6 Someday Jones (4-1) – One of two to win at this distance, and despite some poor efforts this year, drops from a stakes race back into claiming company
3. #1 O Shea Can U See (15-1) – An interesting entry who should be a big price with a lesser-known jockey and has been consistently closing into the money at this level
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents another midweek card!
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Pimlico.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.