Delaware Park 2019 horses to watch: May 27
by Frank Vespe
Delaware Park has an eight-race holiday card on tap today, including a couple of allowance tests. Some horses to watch:
Race 5 – Maiden claiming
- Maidens three-years-old and up at the $25,000 claiming level will go one mile on the turf.
- In his first try on turf, two races ago, #3 Mead Avenue (20-1) was about a million lengths off the pace in the first three quarters but was absolutely flying at the end. He followed that up with a credible try against $40,000 maidens at Laurel, and the runner-up from that race graduated next out. Here today, the Cesar Nambo trainee drops back down a level, which figures to help his cause, and if the jockey can get him just a tad more involved early on, that may allow him to showcase his late run to best advantage. Jose Betancourt will ride.
- Selections: 3-4-7-6
Race 7 – Allowance
- Fillies and mares three years old and up will go a mile 70 yards on the turf in a first-level allowance.
- The Graham Motion trainee #4 Desert Isle (2-1) is certainly bred to be a star. She’s a daughter of Bernardini and a half-sister to three stakes winners, includng the multiple graded winner Deceptive Vision. It hasn’t quite worked out for her yet, though, as she has a single win from seven career starts. Two back she was a decent fourth in the Carolene Stakes at Woodbine behind the mutliple graded stakes-placed Dixie Moon, and last out she was an even fifth in a Keeneland allowance. The Graham Motion trainee probably will appreciate the class relief on offer here, and she makes her second start of 2019. Wes Hamilton will ride.
- In her first career start, #6 Venetian Princess (9-2) certainly displayed an affinity for the green stuff, rallying three-wide to win going away in a Tampa maiden event. Her follow-up was a mess — she finished fifth of six — but that was over a sloppy, sealed main track at Gulfstream. Switched back onto the lawn, she ought to be able to move forward here for trainer Keith Nations. Alex Cintron will ride.
- Selections: 6-4-3-1
Thanks to Stephanie Ruff and Arabian Finish Line for giving us insights to the Arabian racing at Delaware Park.
No Arabian race today.