YESTERDAY’S NEWS: Running Mate impresses in debut
Running Mate was offered for sale as a weanling at the 2014 Keeneland November mixed sale, but the high bid of $65,000 didn’t meet the Creative Cause colt’s reserve.
That might work out for the best for owner-breeder Bret Jones.
Running Mate, out of the winning Street Cry mare Street Mate, made his career debut yesterday at Delaware Park, and as the name implies, he came out running. Under Brian Pedroza, Running Mate went to the front early, shook off his nearest rivals on the turn, and pulled away to a flashy, six-length victory in what the chart called “handy fashion.” Running time for the six furlongs was a fast 1:10.48.
He paid $8.60 to win and topped a $2 exacta worth $126.40, with Homer Haps, who chased from second all the way around, holding the place. Hot Shot Kid was third, while favored Upper Room broke slowly and ended up fifth.
Running Mate looks to be another promising runner in the powerful barn of trainer Larry Jones.[su_divider top=”no” style=”double” divider_color=”#0b0c0c” size=”1″]
BY THE NUMBERS: Handle
- Delaware Park: $1,732,438
- Penn National: $515,304
- Charles Town: $772,466
- The Meadowlands: $901,893
- Tracks in action: Charles Town, Penn National, The Meadowlands
- Maybe the third time will be the charm for Fly Swift (3-2). The two-year-old City Zip filly was fifth on debut, at Belmont, and followed that up with a third-place finish in a maiden special weight test at Saratoga after having some trip trouble. This evening, she’s favored in a $25,000 maiden special weight going five furlongs on the turf at the Meadowlands if the weather holds up. The Christophe Clement trainee hasn’t raced since mid-August but is showing four works in the interim. Dylan Davis, winning at just an eight percent clip this year, will ride.
- Eight-year-old Idon’tknogoaskanni (2-1) has done a lot of things in her career. The Claudio Gonzalez trainee has raced 67 times, won 12 of them, and finished in the money on 25 other occasions. She has earned nearly $165,000 in her career. She has won races in four different states — Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Florida. One thing she hasn’t done: win an allowance race. She’ll try to snap that streak this evening in a 1 1/16-mile, $24,500 allowance test at Charles Town in which she’s favored. Jose Montano will ride.