Works, entries, and results for the Midlantic-breds nominated to the Triple Crown. The latest:[su_list icon=”icon: clipboard”]
- Three Midlantic-breds nominated to the Triple Crown competed over the weekend. Here’s how they did:
- Maryland-bred Balfe’s Corner finished ninth of 13 in a maiden special weight test on the turf Saturday at Gulfstream Park. Sent off at 46-1, he was never much involved in the running and was beaten by 6 1/2 lengths. He has yet to place in three career starts.
- Pennsylvania-bred Refer ran second in a maiden special weight race at Penn National. He stalked the pace in third, took the lead on the final turn, but could not hold off African Fighter. Sent off as the third choice, at 4.10-1, the second-place finish was his best result in three career starts.
- Maryland-bred Or So finished fifth of seven in a $25,000 maiden claimer at Tampa Bay Downs. At 15-1 the second-longest shot on the board, he chased for three-eighths of a mile before backing out of contention. He has not placed in three career starts.
- Two horses breezed over the weekend: Defondo worked a moderate half-mile at the Fair Grounds in 51 3/5 seconds (106th of 136); and G3 Santa Ysabel winner Stellar Wind also worked a half-mile, in 48 1/5 seconds at Santa Anita, good for 18th of 79 at the distance.
- American Pharoah announced his presence on the Triple Crown trail with an emphatic six-length score in Oaklawn Park’s Grade 2 Rebel Stakes. The Bob Baffert trainee had it all his own way; sent off at 2-5, he shot to the early lead, doled out moderate fractions, and drew off easily under a hand ride. Madefromlucky was second, and Bold Conquest finished third.[/su_list]
And don’t forget to check out our Mid-Atlantic Triple Crown Trail page, featuring a sortable (and searchable) table of all of this year’s Midlantic-bred Triple Crown nominees.