Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks August 24
In Spa Selections, Saratoga correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Follow along all meet with all the exciting action (and good betting opportunities)!
- Trainer Michael Pino reaches 2,000 winsTrainer Michael Pino went 2-for-2 today at Parx Racing to reach 2,000 wins in a career which has seen his runners earn over $43 million.
Race 1 – Michael G. Walsh Novice Stakes
1. #6 Theocrat (5-1) – Came off the pace with an impressive closing trip from sixteen lengths back, and may have found his preferred distance past two miles
2. #1 Freddy Flintshire (5-2) – Winner of his last two including a dominant performance last time over this track, and seems to be in top form entering his first stakes try
3. #7 Scorpion’s Revenge (3-1) – Comes off a stakes win and has run well off the layoff, plus is the only of this field to win at the distance
4. #3 Decisive Triumph (4-1) – Almost always grabs the lead and has run in four straight stakes races, but has some winning troubles with a litany of second place finishes
Race 8 – Claiming 25000
1. #3 Boldish (3-1) – Comes off a tough effort where he didn’t break well in the slop and fell behind, but rediscovering past form likely puts him in the winner’s circle here
2. #2 Crypto Cash (5-2) – Has hit the board in his last six races with two wins mixed in, and should be a factor since Carmouche won’t let him fall too far behind early
3. #6 Lastchanceatglory (9-5) – Won gate to wire a month ago here, and may get the benefit of little pace pressure if he goes for the lead again as the others seem to prefer to sit off the leader
4. #5 Lil Commissioner (4-1) – Breaks well and comes off a win at this distance, plus should prefer going seven instead of eight furlongs and only going one turn
Race 9 – John’s Call Stakes
1. #4 Ocean’s Map (5-2) – This gelding by Liam’s Map has some good class and should be well-suited for a ground saving trip at this distance
2. #2 Bluegrass Parkway (3-1) – Hasn’t won in a year, but comes off a stakes effort against Red Knight who is better than these, and should improve here
3. #3 Tide of the Sea (2-1) – Another with back-class and some solid efforts at Saratoga, but has been very inconsistent recently and might not be best for this distance
4. #1 Girl Dad (8-1) – Interesting spot to put this gelding in off the claim for Michael Maker, but this one clearly wants more distance and should be a good price for exotic plays
Race 10 – Alw 50000s
1. #5 Stella Mars (5-1) – Three seconds in three tries at Saratoga, this is one that just hasn’t had the best of luck here but her top end races are good enough to win
2. #6 Mandy Green (15-1) – Should be one to appreciate the distance stretch as she has been making some late closing moves in good efforts and needs more distance to run into
3. #8 Control Function (3-1) – Even in a second place finish after breaking her maiden, this filly ran well, and may be best here sitting mid pack as opposed to being close to the pace
4. #11 Dreamful (7-2) – Tough post makes this one hard to include as a top choice, but should be aggressive and have a chance to hang on in the money if she grabs the early lead