Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks August 18
In Spa Selections, Saratoga correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Follow along all meet with all the exciting action (and good betting opportunities)!
- Charles Town cancels Feb. 3 cardCharles Town has canceled its Friday, Feb. 3 card, citing forecasted frigid temperatures and windy conditions.
Race 4 – Handicap 25000s
1. #4 Stage Left (3-1) – Most recently won an allowance at Saratoga against a stronger field, and won going away plus has two other wins over this track
2. #2 Mexican Wonder Boy (2-1) – Runs well at this distance and should get an early jump on this field which gives this horse a leg up on the others
3. #5 Flamingo Hawk (5-2) – Dominated claimers last time out at Saratoga, with a good record in the money at this distance
4. #1 Alcools (9-2) – Two for three at this distance and should be close to the lead early, but has mostly competed in claiming company
Race 8 – Alw 115000n1x
1. #4 Winit (5-2) – Flashed some speed last time and can be a wire to wire threat here with the same approach against this field
2. #2 Complete Agenda (3-1) – Ran a solid fourth last time against Keepmeinmind, and may see some improvement this time, although this one is a bit inconsistent
3. #3 Nabokov (3-1) – Chad Brown clearly holds this one with high enough regard to enter it here after a rough go in the Dwyer, but should clearly improve with a better break
4. #5 Warrior Johnny (9-2) – Was bet to favorite last time, only losing by two lengths despite finishing sixth, and has run well since switching to dirt
Race 9 – New York Stallion Series Stakes
1. #6 Busy Morning (2-1) – Won impressively last time at six furlongs, and stretches out here to eight, but still wins with a repeat of last race’s trip and performance
2. #4 Dream Central (5-2) – Winner of her last two, has run much better on turf and well recently, and is doing so against this company
3. #5 Howdyoumakeurmoney (8-1) – Gets Rosario here and has won her only try at Saratoga, plus has good back-class and should run well at this distance this time around
4. #2 Robyn and Eli (5-1) – Royal Dancer has had trouble holding leads, so take a chance with this one who has some upside as a closer if the pace heats up more than expected
Race 10 – MC 40000
1. #6 Lookin Grand (9-2) – Has improved in every start and could be solid value here, but might be best coming from off the pace so needs the right set up
#1 Uragano (5-2) – Drops into maiden claiming company after five failed attempts at state bred maidens, so should see some improvement here
#8 Loz (3-1) – Gets a bump dropping from maiden company, plus comes off a sharp bullet work and was bet to a solid price last time
#2 Ableton (10-1) – Last time out was placed more towards the lead, this time adds blinkers and can be competitive if aggressive