Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks August 12
In Spa Selections, Saratoga correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Follow along all meet with all the exciting action (and good betting opportunities)!
- Delaware Park picks and horses to watch: October 7We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
Race 3 – John Morrissey Handicap
1. #6 Ny Traffic (6-5) – Should win here based on the class drop alone, but will need to be a bit more aggressive than usual and still has some worthy competitors here
2. #1 Saint Selby (4-1) – Has won both races at this distance and will vie for the early lead, plus has finished no worse than second on the dirt
3. #4 My Boy Tate (3-1) – Has hit the board in all six tries at Saratoga, and fares well amongst this company outside of his last try where he stretched to eight furlongs
4. #2 Wudda U Think Now (7-2) – Adds blinkers and may try and chase Saint Selby for the early lead here, plus seems to run his best at six furlongs
Race 6 – Union Avenue Handicap
1. #4 Bank On Anna (3-1) – She typically runs well when she breaks sharply, and has fared better at this distance compared to others here
2. #2 Secret Love (5-2) – Her last three tries haven’t been her best, but rediscovering her better races puts her in the mix with this group
3. #3 Mashnee Girl (3-1) – One that will certainly be gunning for the lead, and with the cutback in distance might be able to hold on for a gate to wire win if she gets clear
4. #1 Snicker (9-2) – Outside of her last two, this one has been in the mix frequently, but is another that may be dependent on her early positioning
Race 7 – OC 80000n2x
1. #5 Al Qahira (7-2) – Drops out of the Grade III Lake George, and might be best suited sitting in second this time around rather than doing the dirty work here
2. #3 Gal in a Rush (4-1) – Has never actually crossed the wire first, but has hit the board in every race on turf and is always within range of the winner
3. #10 Spicer (5-1) – This Chad Brown trainee has been passed in her last three stretch runs, but has good back-class and can be competitive with one of her better efforts
4. #9 Swift Action (20-1) – This big longshot comes from cheaper races, but her huge closing move in her debut shows an ability that may put her in third or fourth as a nice exotic play
Race 8 – Evan Shipman Handicap
1. #7 Sea Foam (7-2) – This one has been his best at the Spa, winning four of six here lifetime including this race last year, he has early speed but will need to fend off Therisastormbrewin
2. #1 Bankit (9-5) – Maybe the winner based on class, but his races against lower competition leave some to be desired although still has better top end races than most here
3. #5 Tiergan (5-2) – Has won both tries at Saratoga, with a good record hitting the board at this distance, but has struggled when stepping up to stakes company
4. #6 Market Alert (8-1) – Has been a little inconsistent in the past, but comes off a nice win and can be competitive sitting off a hot pace here