Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks July 16
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – Grade I Diana Stakes
1. #1 Technical Analysis (3-1) – Hasn’t shown much of an ability to win from off the pace, so this could be difficult with other speeds, but worth a shot and is two for two at the Spa
2. #3 Bleecker Street (6-5) – Undefeated in seven starts, seems like the clear cut best and should get the right set up from one or both of Technical Analysis and In Italian from Brown
3. #2 Creative Flair (8-1) – Could benefit from some early speed, and runs well off the layoff for Godolphin Stables but will need others to fade
4. #4 Rougir (3-1) – Out-kicked by Bleecker Street last time out, but can certainly remain a factor if she stays closer to the lead than usual
Race 9 – OC 80000n1x
1. #9 Fort Ticonderoga (2-1) – Don’t love the price, but questions with some others and this one’s sharp win make this the top choice, albeit a tepid one in an evenly matched field
2. #2 Royal Spirit (6-1) – Should benefit hugely with the switch back to turf, although may prefer shorter distance than this nine furlong trip
3. #3 Forever Souper (8-1) – A little less classy than some, but some versatility in his running style and a potential to control the early pace make this one an interesting play
4. #4 Analogy (10-1) – Tough to go against Klaravich and Brown here, but this colt by Medaglia d’Oro offers much better value to round out exotics and has run well in in his last two
Race 10 – Grade III Sanford Stakes
1. #5 Curly Jack (6-1) – Outside of maybe one or two others, not many in here that showed speed in any of their tries, so this one could be a threat to go all the way around if it is slower
2. #4 Forte (5-2) – Sat off the leaders in his first time out and still won by seven, the most visually impressive debut of these, but likely sees more speed here
3. #12 Valenzan Day (12-1) – A lot of this one’s success may hinge on the pressure Roman Giant provides to the lead, as Rosario will likely have this one closing late
4. #9 Andiamo a Firenze (7-2) – Not sure how much of his first race dominance was because of the sloppy track, but still seems like one with more upside than others here
Race 11 – Clm 35000n2L
1. #6 Bella Conchita (5-1) – Gets some major class relief dropping from an allowance at Keeneland, plus the distance cutback should make things more manageable
2. #4 Diva Ready (2-1) – Has won her only try at this distance, and shows a good running style to sit off the leaders which will be beneficial in a relatively paceless race
3. #3 Noble Enterprise (8-1) – In the money in her last three, this distance could be the sweet spot for her as she seems to rounding into solid form
4. #9 Princess Blakely (4-1) – Has run well in two tries, drops from allowance company and picks up Irad Ortiz in the irons
In Spa Selections, our correspondent provides his Saratoga picks for key races on today’s Saratoga card!
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.