Luna Belle, Just One Time head first Top Midlantic-bred Poll of 2022
Grade 1 winner Just One Time is at the head of the class in the first Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred/The Racing Biz Top Midlantic-bred Poll of 2021.
Just One Time is the top-rated older horse with two wins from two 2022 starts. Luna Belle, four-for-four this year, all in stakes company, is the top-rated three-year-old.
Just One Time won four of five starts in 2021, including wins in the New Start Stakes at Penn National and the Malvern Rose at Presque Isle. Both came while trained by Michael Salvaggio — but proved to be merely a prelude to what was to come.
Switched into the powerful Brad Cox operation, Just One Time made her seasonal bow Jan. 29 in the Grade 2 Inside Information Stakes at Gulfstream Park. There, she rallied from mid-flight to win by three parts of a length. Next out she did herself even better, closing from eighth to win Keeneland’s Grade 1 Madison. She’ll make her next start May 7 in the Grade 1 Derby CIty Distaff at Churchill Downs.
Just One Time is a daughter of Not This Time out of the Speightstown mare Ida Clark. She was bred in Pennsylvania by Warrior’s Reward LLC, who owns her in partnership with Commonwealth New Era Racing.
For her career, she now has six wins from seven starts, with earnings of $525,195.
- Pimlico Pick 6 solved, payout over $479kOne and only one bettor solved PImlico’s Jackpot Pick 6 Thursday, leading to a payout of $479,801 after it carried through Preakness weekend.
Among three-year-olds, another filly, Luna Belle, was the choice of poll participants.
A three-year-old Great Notion filly trained by Hamilton Smith, Luna Belle blossomed late last year, winning the Maryland Juvenile Filly Championship, and she hasn’t missed a beat so far in 2022. Luna Belle has run once a month, four times in all, all in stakes company, and won each outing impressively.
The Maryland-bred Luna Belle is expected to make her next start in the Grade 2 Black-Eyed Susan Stakes May 20. Bred by the late Fred Greene, Deborah Greene and Hamilton Smith, Luna Belle is out of the Mojave Moon mare Heavenly Moon. She is owned by Deborah Greene and Smith.
Two-time Top Midlantic-bred Knicks Go is second on the list of older horses but will likely drop off as the year goes on, since he has been retired.
Five of the 10 horses on the two lists are females, including the top-rated in each category, and five are females. Six were bred in Maryland, and four were bred in Pennsylvania. While none of the older horses in the top five is the product of a regional stallion, three of the sophomores are. Two, including Luna Belle, are by Great Notion, and one is by young sire Divining Rod.
The monthly Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred is the only publication devoted to Thoroughbred breeding and racing in the Mid-Atlantic region. The Racing Biz, an online publication, is the independent voice for mid-Atlantic racing and breeding.
The poll is conducted of media members and others involved in the Thoroughbred industry and restricted to horses that have run in 2022 and were bred in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, New Jersey, Delaware, and the Carolinas.
- The (almost) fabulous fillies of the PreaknessBefore Rachel Alexandra and Swiss Skydiver won the Preakness, these four fillies made a major impact on the Middle Jewel without winning it.
TOP OLDER MIDLANTIC-BREDS
- Just One Time (PA), 4F by Not this Time-Ida Clark, by Speightstown; bred by Warrior’s Reward LLC and trained by Brad Cox for Warrior’s Reward LLC and Commonwealth New Era Racing. 2022 highlights: Won G1 Madison S., G2 Inside Information S.
- Knicks Go (MD), 6H by Paynter-Kosmo’s Buddy, by Outflanker; bred by Angie Moore and trained by Brad Cox for Korea Racing Authority. 2022 highlights: 2nd G1 Pegasus World Cup
- Cordmaker (MD), 7G by Curlin-Tanca, by Polish Numbers; bred by Robert Manfuso and Katharine Voss and trained by Rodney Jenkins for Hillwood Stables LLC. 2022 highlights: Won G3 General George, Jennings S.
- Kiss the Girl (MD), 5M by Into Mischief-Spin the Bottle, by Hard Spun; bred by Classic Thoroughbred XII and trained by Michael Trombetta for Three Diamonds Farm. 2022 highlights: Won Geisha S., Nellie Morse S.
- Kaylasaurus (PA), 6M by Munnings-Five Diamonds, by Flatter; bred by Arrowwood Farm Inc. and trained by Tim Kreiser for Bush Racing Stable, Liberty House Racing, BlackRidge Stables LLC and George Saufley. 2022 highlights: Won Primonetta S., 2nd What A Summer S.
Also receiving votes: Repo Rocks, Jakarta, Whereshetoldmetogo, Field Pass, Jaxon Traveler, No Change, Miss J McKay, Galerio, Fortheluvofbourbon, Fille d’Esprit
TOP 3yo MIDLANTIC-BREDS
- Luna Belle (MD), 3F by Great Notion-Heavenly Moon, by Mojave Moon; bred by Fred Greene Jr., Deborah Greene and Hamilton Smith and trained by Hamilton Smith for Deborah Greene and Hamilton Smith. 2022 highlights: Won Xtra Heat S., Wide Country S., Beyond the Wire S., Weber City Miss S.
- Joe (MD), 3C by Declaration of War-Battle Bridge, by Arch; bred by The Elkstone Group LLC and trained by Michael Trombetta for The Elkstone Group LLC. 2022 highlights: Won Federico Tesio S.
- Morning Matcha (PA), 3F by Central Banker-Home Ice, by Iam the Iceman; bred by Crane Thoroughbred Services LLC and trained by Robert Reid Jr. for LC Racing, Cash Is King LLC and Gary Barber. 2022 highlights: Won Main Line S.
- Witty (PA), 3G by Great Notion-Zeezee Zoomzoom, by Congrats; bred by Elizabeth Merryman and trained by McLane Hendriks for Elizabeth Merryman. 2022 highlights: Won Spectacular Bid S.
- Local Motive (MD), 3G by Divining Rod-Wild for Love, by Not for Love; bred by Wasabi Ventures Stables LLC, Greenspring Mares LLC and Bowman & Higgins Stable and trained by John Salzman Jr. for Bird Mobberley LLC. 2022 highlights: Won Miracle Wood S.
Also receiving votes: Twisted Ride, Mr Jefferson, Oviatt Class, Coastal Mission, Determined Kingdom, Click to Confirm
Note: All horses listed at their 2022 ages.
Participating Voters: Ted Black (freelance writer), Michael Campbell (Thoroughbred Breeders’ Association of New Jersey), Joe Clancy (Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred), Cindy Deubler (Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred), Linda Dougherty (freelance), Debbie Easter (Virginia Thoroughbred Association), Paul Espinosa (Charles Town Races), Rich Glazier (Delaware Park), Cricket Goodall (Maryland Horse Breeders Association), Jim Hague (freelance), Nick Hahn (freelance), Carol Holden (West Virginia Breeders Classics), Tom LaMarra (Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association), Jeff Nations (freelance), Vinnie Perrone (freelance), Frank Petramalo (Virginia Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association), John Piassek (freelance), Gary Quill (The Racing Biz), David Richardson (Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association), Brian Sanfratello (Pennsylvania Horse Breeders Association), Chris Sobocinski (Delaware Park), Dan Tordjman (freelance), Frank Vespe (The Racing Biz), Bill Watson (freelance), Lydia Williams (freelance), Bobby Zen (freelance).