Laurel Park cancels mid-card Friday
Laurel Park’s eight-race Friday card came to an end after just three races Feb. 4. The card was canceled midway through “due to the weather conditions,” the track said.
Persistent rains have fallen in central Maryland yesterday and today, with nearly a half-inch of precipitation recorded so far today.
- Jonathan Thomas hoping for Delight-ful SelimaTrainer Jonathan Thomas is scheduled to send out a pair in Saturday’s Selima Stakes at Laurel Park, including morning line favorite Delight.
The view isn’t all that good for Saturday, either. While the rain is expected to stop by mid-afternoon, the currently mild temperature is expected to plummet below freezing overnight, bringing new challenges to the track crew.
The three races contested Friday were on a track rated sloppy and sealed. Times were quite slow.
Friday’s national weekly Stronach 5 wager, which was to kick off with Laurel’s eighth-race finale followed by races from Gulfstream Park, Santa Anita and Golden Gate, was also canceled. It will return next Friday, Feb. 11.
If racing does take place Saturday at Laurel, post time is scheduled for 12:25.
- Jonathan Thomas hoping for Delight-ful Selima
- Charles Town picks and horses to watch: September 30
- Delaware Park picks and horses to watch: September 30
- Roan Burgundy may be among new turfers in Laurel Futurity
- Laurel Park picks and ponderings: September 30, 2022
- Whereshetoldmetogo, Intrepid Daydream highlight DelPark stakes