Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks September 3
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – Alw 90000n1x
1. #4 Big Bobby (5-2) – Was favorite last time out against a horse that just ran in the H. Allen Jerkins, and should improve here with a more forward trip
2. #1 Gold Panda (2-1) – Ran better second time out in the slop, but also went for the early lead and has a red hot jockey trainer combo as well
3. #6 Work Out (6-1) – Another one that should do well if he goes to the front, and getting Saez in the irons will help this colt be aggressive
Race 9 – Lucky Coin Stakes
1. #5 Maxwell Esquire (7-2) – A consistent closer who has run well at this distance despite showing form that would indicate longer, he should be good here with the right set up
2. #8 Maven (5-2) – Velazquez and Ward team up with this gelding who drops from a grade I at Ascot, and should be a threat if he breaks well early
3. #3 Noble Emotion (6-1) – Has good speed here and has run well at the distance and over this turf course, plus keeps Jose who has two wins with him in his last three tries
Race 10 – Mdn 100k
1. #4 Lady Valentine (3-1) – This filly by Into Mischief ran a close third in her turf debut last time, and comes off a bullet work with this strong jockey trainer combo
2. #1 Gailhorsewind (10-1) – Adds blinkers for her fifth maiden try, and despite showing some decent closing efforts, being closer to the lead while stretching out could be worth a play here
3. #9 Federalist Papers (5-1) – Takes a step up coming from Tampa, but this Chad Brown trainee made a huge move last time and might be a fair price here
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents another midweek card!
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.