Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks September 1
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – Alw 103000n1x
1. #6 Vindictive (9-5) – Ran against Miles D first time out who just finished third in the Travers, and then improved next time with a strong effort at this distance and a repeat wins here
2. #3 Runnin’ Ray (2-1) – A threat to go wire to wire, as this winner of two straight has fared well when being aggressive and taking the early lead which could be important here
3. #5 Business Model (6-1) – Didn’t run well last time out at this distance, but his last race off a layoff was impressive, and a similar trip puts him in the mix here
Race 9 – Grade III With Anticipation Stakes
1. #1 Limited Liability (7-5) – Not a lock at a short price, but gets a plus for winning first time at Saratoga and closing into a slow pace that time to take over easily in the stretch
2. #4 Portfolio Company (9-5) – Sat off a slow pace in his maiden for Chad Brown and hung on late, and despite that not being the most visually impressive, should get a good trip here
3. #5 Kavod (15-1) – Switches to the turf and removes blinkers after running against Wit in the grade III Sanford earlier this meet, so should improve here
Race 10 – Mdn 85k
1. #9 Vivazano (6-1) – This filly has run once on the turf and finished a close third so could be one to improve trying turf for a second time at a good price
2. #10 La Victoria (4-1) – This grey filly by Tapit switches to turf for the first time after a good effort going a mile and an eighth in the mud, plus keeps Rosario here
3. #1 Acushla (7-2) – Breaks from post ten as a part of an entry, this filly by Tiznow has a slightly better post than Lacy Thornhill and doesn’t need the front to win here
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
Full-card picks and analysis for this evening’s live racing card from Charles Town Races!
Racing returns to Delaware Park May 24, and we return with Delaware Park picks and analysis for the track’s 86th racing season.