Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks September 1
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – Alw 103000n1x
1. #6 Vindictive (9-5) – Ran against Miles D first time out who just finished third in the Travers, and then improved next time with a strong effort at this distance and a repeat wins here
2. #3 Runnin’ Ray (2-1) – A threat to go wire to wire, as this winner of two straight has fared well when being aggressive and taking the early lead which could be important here
3. #5 Business Model (6-1) – Didn’t run well last time out at this distance, but his last race off a layoff was impressive, and a similar trip puts him in the mix here
Race 9 – Grade III With Anticipation Stakes
1. #1 Limited Liability (7-5) – Not a lock at a short price, but gets a plus for winning first time at Saratoga and closing into a slow pace that time to take over easily in the stretch
2. #4 Portfolio Company (9-5) – Sat off a slow pace in his maiden for Chad Brown and hung on late, and despite that not being the most visually impressive, should get a good trip here
3. #5 Kavod (15-1) – Switches to the turf and removes blinkers after running against Wit in the grade III Sanford earlier this meet, so should improve here
Race 10 – Mdn 85k
1. #9 Vivazano (6-1) – This filly has run once on the turf and finished a close third so could be one to improve trying turf for a second time at a good price
2. #10 La Victoria (4-1) – This grey filly by Tapit switches to turf for the first time after a good effort going a mile and an eighth in the mud, plus keeps Rosario here
3. #1 Acushla (7-2) – Breaks from post ten as a part of an entry, this filly by Tiznow has a slightly better post than Lacy Thornhill and doesn’t need the front to win here
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
We’ve got Charles Town picks and preview today as the track presents its Friday card!