CHUB WAGON ON RISE IN TOP MIDLANTIC-BRED POLL
Chub Wagon continued her rise up the ladder in the latest Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred/The Racing Biz Top Midlantic-bred Poll, while a pair of newcomers joined the lists.
Chub Wagon is now ranked second among older horses, trailing only Grade 1 Pegasus World Cup winner Knicks Go. Chub Wagon, a Pennsylvania-bred daughter of Hey Chub, won the Dashing Beauty Stakes at Delaware Park July 10 to run her career record to a spotless eight-for-eight.
Chub Wagon has won all six of her starts thus far in 2021 for trainer Guadalupe Preciado and owners Daniel Lopez and George Chestnut, who also bred her. She has earned just shy of $300,000 this season.
One of the newcomers joins Chub Wagon on the list for older horses. That’s The Critical Way, a Pennsylvania-bred Tizway gelding. The seven-year-old, trained by Jose Delgado for Monster Racing Stables, won the Wolf Hill Stakes July 17 on the undercard for the Grade 1 Haskell at Monmouth Park.
That win was The Critical Way’s third stakes win in 2021. He’s also placed in three other stakes, among them the Grade 2 Shakertown at Keeneland April 3, when he ran third.
Maryland-bred Knicks Go, who on July 2 won the Grade 3 Prairie Meadows Cornhusker Handicap, remains the leader among older horses, followed, in order, by Chub Wagon, Virginia-bred Chess Chief, Pennsylvania-bred Vault, and The Critical Way.
- Charles Town cancels Feb. 3 cardCharles Town has canceled its Friday, Feb. 3 card, citing forecasted frigid temperatures and windy conditions.
Among three-year-olds, three-time stakes winner Beren remains the leader. The Pennsylvania-bred son of Weigelia last raced June 22, when he won the Crowd Pleaser Stakes for state-breds easily at Parx Racing.
The Butch Reid trainee has won three consecutive stakes and is five-for-seven in 2021 with earnings of over $275,000. He is owned by St. Omer’s Farm and Christopher Feifarek.
The newcomer to the sophomore list is Midnight Obsession. The John Servis-trained, Pennsylvania-bred Overanalyze filly has been first or second in all four career starts and most recently was second in the Grade 3 Delaware Oaks behind Crazy Beautiful.
Midnight Obsession, owned by Main Line Racing Stable, has earned $150,800. She is ranked fourth among three-year-olds.
Beren is followed by a pair of Maryland-breds in Jaxon Traveler and Street Lute, then Midnight Obsession, and Pennsylvania-bred Maythehorsebwithu.
The two lists included six Pennsylvania-breds, three Maryland-breds, and one Virginia-bred. Six of the top 10 are males, and four are females.
The monthly Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred is the only publication devoted to Thoroughbred breeding and racing in the Mid-Atlantic region. The Racing Biz, an online publication, is the independent voice for mid-Atlantic racing and breeding.
The poll is conducted of media members and others involved in the Thoroughbred industry and restricted to horses that have run in 2021 and were bred in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, New Jersey, Delaware, and the Carolinas.
- Which horses had the best post-CT Classic careers?Art Collector’s win in Saturday’s Grade 1 Pegasus got us wondering: which winners of the Charles Town Classic had the best careers after their Classic win?
TOP OLDER MIDLANTIC-BREDS
- Knicks Go (MD), 5H by Paynter-Kosmo’s Buddy, by Outflanker; bred by Angie Moore and trained by Brad Cox for Korea Racing Authority. 2021 highlights: Won G1 Pegasus World Cup, G3 Prairie Meadows Cornhusker H. Last month: 1
- Chub Wagon (PA), 4F by Hey Chub-Takin the Plunge, by Lion Heart; bred by Joe-Dan Farm & George Chestnut and trained by Guadalupe Preciado for Daniel J. Lopez and George Chestnut. 2021 highlights: Won Dashing Beauty S., Shine Again S., Skipat S., Unique Bella S. Last month: 3
- Chess Chief (VA), 5H by Into Mischief-Un Blessed, by Mineshaft; bred by Morgan’s Ford Farm and trained by Dallas Stewart for Estate of James Coleman, Jr.. 2021 highlights: Won G2 New Orleans Classic, 3rd G2 Alysheba, 3rd G3 Mineshaft. Last month: 2
- Vault (PA), 5M by Jump Start-Di’s Delight, by French Deputy; bred by Barlar LLC and trained by Brad Cox for Kueber Racing, LLC, Barlar LLC, Madaket Stables LLC and Little Red Feather Racing. 2021 highlights: Won G2 Ruffian. Last month: 3
- The Critical Way (PA), 7G by Tizway-Critical Factor, by Star de Naskra; bred by Blackstone Farm LLC and trained by Jose Delgado for Monster Racing Stables. 2021 highlights: Won Wolf Hill S., Get Serious S., Turf Dash, 3rd G2 Shakertown S. Last month: Also receiving votes
Also receiving votes: Caravel, Largent, Daddy Is a Legend, Boldor, Whereshetoldmetogo
TOP 3yo MIDLANTIC-BREDS
- Beren (PA), 3C by Weigelia-Silmaril, by Diamond; bred by Susan Quick and Christopher Feifarek and trained by Robert “Butch” Reid for Susan Quick and Christopher Feifarek. 2021 highlights: Won Gold Fever S., Paradise Creek S., Crowd Pleaser S. Last month: 1.
- Jaxon Traveler (MD), 3C by Munnings-Listen Boy, by After Market; bred by Dr. & Mrs. A. Leonard Pineau and trained by Steve Asmussen for West Point Thoroughbreds and Marvin Delfiner. 2021 highlights: Won Bachelor Stakes, 2nd G3 Chick Lang S., 3rd G3 Quick Call S. Last month: 2
- Street Lute (MD), 3F by Street Magician-Alottalute, by Midnight Lute; bred by Dr. & Mrs. Thomas Bowman & Dr. Brooke Bowman and trained by John Robb for Lucky 7 Stables. 2021 highlights: Won Stormy Blues S., Xtra Heat S., Wide Country S. Last month: 3
- Midnight Obsession (PA), 3F by Overanalyze-Halo Hollie, by Halo’s Image; bred by Four Bucks Racing and trained by John Servis for Main Line Racing Stable. 2021 highlights: 2nd G3 Delaware Oaks. Last month: NA
- Maythehorsebwithu (PA), 3G by Bullsbay-Avani Force, by Forestry; bred by Beatrice Patterson & Vicky Schowe and trained by Brittany Russell for Michael Dubb and Bethlehem Stables LLC. 2021 highlights: Won Miracle Wood S. Last month: 4
Also receiving votes: Golden Key, Alwaysinahurry, Lady Aces, Excellorator, Hemp
Note: All horses listed at their 2021 ages.
Participating Voters: Ted Black (freelance writer), Michael Campbell (Thoroughbred Breeders’ Association of New Jersey), Joe Clancy (Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred), Cindy Deubler (Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred), Linda Dougherty (freelance), Debbie Easter (Virginia Thoroughbred Association), Paul Espinosa (Charles Town Races), Rich Glazier (Delaware Park), Cricket Goodall (Maryland Horse Breeders Association), Sara Gordon (Maryland Horse Breeders Association), Jim Hague (freelance), Nick Hahn (freelance), Carol Holden (West Virginia Breeders Classics), Tom LaMarra (Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association), Jeff Nations (freelance), Vinnie Perrone (freelance), Frank Petramalo (Virginia Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association), John Piassek (freelance), Gary Quill (The Racing Biz), David Richardson (Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association), Brian Sanfratello (Pennsylvania Horse Breeders Association), Sal Sinatra (Maryland Jockey Club), Chris Sobocinski (Delaware Park), Dan Tordjman (freelance), Frank Vespe (The Racing Biz), Bill Watson (freelance), Lydia Williams (freelance), Bobby Zen (freelance).