Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks July 17
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – OC 80000n2x
1. #4 Souper Dormy (6-1) – In good form coming off a bullet work, likes the distance, and should be a good price for this colt by Into Mischief
2. #8 Gear Jockey (8-1) – Seven for nine in the money on the turf lifetime, including finishing third in a graded try three back, should like the distance cutback with his stalking style
3. #1A Shekky Shebaz (3-1) – Like a couple others here seems to be past his prime, having not won in two years, but still good enough to win or at least hit the board with a good break
Race 8 – Alw 103000n1x
1. #1 Beau Liam (3-1) – Won by seven last in his maiden in dominant fashion, showing the most upside of this group with a couple of classy and talented runners
2. #5 Ten for Ten (8-1) – Drops from two graded tries and gets a much needed distance cutback, plus has some versatility in his running style based on how others go out
3. #7 Witsel (8-1) – Despite coming out of a maiden at Tampa Downs, winning by thirteen is no joke, and Mahaamel might be overbet here in a field that will be tough to wire so take the value
Race 9 – Grade III Sanford Stakes
1. #2 Candy Landing (7-2) – Very even field where nearly anyone can win, but this colt was up on the hottest pace of anyone last time out and still had plenty left in the stretch
2. #1 Wit (8-5) – Could get overbet because of the connections, but clearly one of the better efforts of the bunch breaking his maiden with a six length win after being behind by seven early
3. #10 Kavod (20-1) – Others here who have more upside and took more money in their starts, but this colt has improved in every try and nearly won a stakes at Belmont last time out
Race 10 – Grade I Diana Stakes
1. #7 Lemista (5-2) – Is the better of the Chad Brown duo, and gets a bit more pace and distance to run into here after nearly running down Harvey’s Lil Goil last time out
2. #5 Harvey’s Lil Goil (3-1) – Two for two at this distance and best when she is near the leaders, a clear contender who should bounce back here
3. #8 Althiqa (3-1) – La Signare had a great effort last time and has class, but this filly has finished in the money in all ten starts, including an impressive grade I win at Belmont last time
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
The original and best Colonial Downs tip sheet returns: Nick’s Picks is back, along with picks from the legendary Derby Bill Watson.
John Piassek shares his thoughts on today’s Pimlico card here.