Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks July 16
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 1 – OC 80000n2x
1. #4 Gun It (7-2) – Can win here at a decent price if Santana and Asmussen decide to put this five year old amongst the leaders early where he has run his best efforts
2. #5 Shashashakemeup (3-2) – Is the classiest of this field, plus has some versatility in coming from far back or winning closer to the pace, but this distance isn’t ideal for him
3. #1 Girolamo’s Attack (5-2) – Comes off a bullet workout at four furlongs, and has hit the board at a high clip, showing improvement this year and solid off the layoff
Race 7 – Alw 103000n1x
1. #4 Miner’s Queen (5-1) – A repeat of last race performance will likely lead to a wire to wire effort here, especially at this distance with a group that has difficulty finding the winner’s circle
2. #5 Spin a Yarn (8-1) – Switches to turf for the first time and is the most consistent, albeit coming from lower class at Finger Lakes, but ran well here last year and has upside in this spot
3. #2 Too Sexy (7-2) – One that might not win, but has finished in the money in six of eight career starts and needs a little pace if this filly by Quality Road wants her second victory
Race 9 – Grade III Forbidden Apple
1. #3 Value Proposition (5-2) – Brown and Klaravich combination will be tough to beat here, especially since he seems to be rounding into form this year and gets Irad back in the irons
2. #4 Therapist (8-1) – Probably a bit past his prime, but a strong finisher who regularly hits the board and has had quality efforts at this distance
3. #9 Sacred Life (3-1) – Will need some early pace from Rinaldi, but gets much needed class relief after a close fourth in the Dinner Party on Preakness day and is a top contender here
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents another midweek card!
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Pimlico.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.