BEREN TO LEAD IN 3YO TOP MIDLANTIC-BRED POLL
With back-to-back stakes wins in May, three-year-old Beren came from nowhere to take over the top spot in the latest Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred/The Racing Biz Top Midlantic-bred Poll for three-year-olds. The poll, for action through June 11, is the third of 2021.
In the version of the poll for older horses, the top pair, Knicks Go and Chess Chief, remain unchanged from last month’s edition of the poll. The lone newcomer on that list is Chub Wagon, who went from also receiving votes status to third.
The most recent poll came out May 7. Two days later, the Pennsylvania-bred Beren won the Gold Fever Stakes at Belmont Park, earning his first stakes victory by a nose. Three weeks after that, Beren won the Paradise Creek Stakes by nearly 11 lengths for his second straight stakes win and fourth win in his last five starts overall.
Beren, a three-year-old colt, is a son of Weigelia out of the Diamond mare Silmaril, who was a millionaire on the racetrack. Beren is a homebred for Susan Quick and Christopher Feifarek and is trained at Parx Racing by Butch Reid. He now has four wins and $215,420 in earnings from nine career starts.
Familiar names occupy the rest of the sophomore poll. Jaxon Traveler, second a month ago, remains second after a May in which he finished second in the Grade 3 Chick Lang Stakes at Pimlico. Last month’s poll leader, Street Lute, dropped to third after finishing sixth in the Grade 3 Miss Preakness.
Rounding out the top five three-year-olds are I Get It and Maythehorsebwithu. Neither has done anything to burnish their resumes since the last poll, with the former having finished up the track in a Grade 3 in early June and the latter having been idle since finishing fifth in the Federico Tesio Stakes April 24.
- Charles Town cancels Jan. 22 cardCharles Town has canceled its live racing card for Saturday, January 22, marking the third straight canceled day of racing at the track.
Among older horses, the lone newcomer to the top five was Chub Wagon. The Pennsylvania-bred filly won the Skipat Stakes on the Preakness undercard May 15 at Pimlico. That was her sixth win — second in stakes company — in six career starts and pushed her earnings to $227,800.
Chub Wagon is a four-year-old daughter of Hey Chub out of the Lion Heart mare Takin the Plunge. Bred by Joe-Dan Farm and George Chestnut, she is owned by Chestnut and Daniel Lopez and is trained at Parx Racing, where she won her first five starts, by Guadalupe Preciado.
Maryland-bred Knicks Go and Virginia-bred Chess Chief continue to occupy the top two spots in the poll for older horses. The former made his first start since the Saudi Cup in February in the June 5 Grade 1 Met Mile, finishing fourth. Chess Chief has been idle since the last poll.
Chub Wagon’s rise pushed Pennsylvania-bred Vault and Virginia-bred Largent down one spot each, to fourth and fifth, respectively. Neither has raced since the last poll.
The two lists included four Maryland-breds, four Pennsylvania-breds, and two Virginia-breds. Six of the top 10 are males, and four are females.
The monthly Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred is the only publication devoted to Thoroughbred breeding and racing in the Mid-Atlantic region. The Racing Biz, an online publication, is the independent voice for mid-Atlantic racing and breeding.
The poll is conducted of media members and others involved in the Thoroughbred industry and restricted to horses that have run in 2021 and were bred in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, New Jersey, Delaware, and the Carolinas.
- BackTracks: Burt Bacharach’s magic momentsIn today’s BackTracks, songwriter Burt Bacharach bred a pair of West Virginia-breds that competed against — and often beat — the best of their generations.
TOP OLDER MIDLANTIC-BREDS
- Knicks Go (MD), 5H by Paynter-Kosmo’s Buddy, by Outflanker; bred by Angie Moore and trained by Brad Cox for Korea Racing Authority. 2021 highlights: Won G1 Pegasus World Cup. Last month: 1
- Chess Chief (VA), 5H by Into Mischief-Un Blessed, by Mineshaft; bred by Morgan’s Ford Farm and trained by Dallas Stewart for Estate of James Coleman, Jr.. 2021 highlights: Won G2 New Orleans Classic, 3rd G2 Alysheba, 3rd G3 Mineshaft. Last month: 2
- Chub Wagon (PA), 4F by Hey Chub-Takin the Plunge, by Lion Heart; bred by Joe-Dan Farm & George Chestnut and trained by Guadalupe Preciado for Daniel J. Lopez and George Chestnut. 2021 highlights: Won Skipat S., Unique Bella S. Last month: Also receiving votes
- Vault (PA), 5M by Jump Start-Di’s Delight, by French Deputy; bred by Barlar LLC and trained by Brad Cox for Kueber Racing, LLC, Barlar LLC, Madaket Stables LLC and Little Red Feather Racing. 2021 highlights: Won G2 Ruffian. Last month: 3
- Largent (VA), 5G by Into Mischief-Life in Seattle, by Unbridled; bred by Lazy Lane Farms LLC and trained by Todd Pletcher for Twin Creeks Racing Stables, LLC and Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners. 2021 highlights: 2nd G1 Pegasus World Cup. Last month: 4
Also receiving votes: Boldor, Pete’s Play Call, Daddy Is a Legend, Breezy Gust, Caravel, Horologist, The Critical Way
TOP 3yo MIDLANTIC-BREDS
- Beren (PA), 3C by Weigelia-Silmaril, by Diamond; bred by Susan Quick and Christopher Feifarek and trained by Robert “Butch” Reid for Susan Quick and Christopher Feifarek. 2021 highlights: Won Gold Fever S., Paradise Creek S. Last month: NA.
- Jaxon Traveler (MD), 3C by Munnings-Listen Boy, by After Market; bred by Dr. & Mrs. A. Leonard Pineau and trained by Steve Asmussen for West Point Thoroughbreds and Marvin Delfiner. 2021 highlights: Won Bachelor Stakes, 2nd G3 Chick Lang S. Last month: 2
- Street Lute (MD), 3F by Street Magician-Alottalute, by Midnight Lute; bred by Dr. & Mrs. Thomas Bowman & Dr. Brooke Bowman and trained by John Robb for Lucky 7 Stables. 2021 highlights: Won Xtra Heat S., Wide Country S. Last month: 1
- I Get It (MD), 3F by Get Stormy-Twisted Beauty, by General Quarters; bred by Flying H Stables LLC and trained by Ronald Spatz for Gary Barber. 2021 highlights: Won Sanibel Island S., 3rd G3 Herecomesthebride S. Last month: 3
- Maythehorsebwithu (PA), 3G by Bullsbay-Avani Force, by Forestry; bred by Beatrice Patterson & Vicky Schowe and trained by Brittany Russell for Michael Dubb and Bethlehem Stables LLC. 2021 highlights: Won Miracle Wood S. Last month: 4
Also receiving votes: Golden Key, Lady Aces, Excellorator, Too Boss Hemp
Note: All horses listed at their 2021 ages.
Participating Voters: Ted Black (freelance writer), Michael Campbell (Thoroughbred Breeders’ Association of New Jersey), Joe Clancy (Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred), Cindy Deubler (Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred), Linda Dougherty (freelance), Debbie Easter (Virginia Thoroughbred Association), Paul Espinosa (Charles Town Races), Rich Glazier (Delaware Park), Cricket Goodall (Maryland Horse Breeders Association), Sara Gordon (Maryland Horse Breeders Association), Jim Hague (freelance), Nick Hahn (freelance), Carol Holden (West Virginia Breeders Classics), Tom LaMarra (Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association), Jeff Nations (freelance), Vinnie Perrone (freelance), Frank Petramalo (Virginia Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association), John Piassek (freelance), Gary Quill (The Racing Biz), David Richardson (Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association), Brian Sanfratello (Pennsylvania Horse Breeders Association), Sal Sinatra (Maryland Jockey Club), Chris Sobocinski (Delaware Park), Dan Tordjman (freelance), Frank Vespe (The Racing Biz), Bill Watson (freelance), Lydia Williams (freelance), Bobby Zen (freelance).