Delaware Park 2018 horses to watch: August 11
by Frank Vespe
Delaware Park has a nine-race card scheduled for Saturday, August 11. Post time for the card is 1:15 p.m., and here are some horses to watch:
Race 7 – Allowance/optional claiming
- Three-year-olds and up will go six furlongs on the main track in a never-won-three allowance with an optional claiming tag of $16,000.
- #8 South Sea (2-1) ships in to Delaware for trainer Marya Montoya from her Parx Racing base following a near-miss runner-up effort in his last. The four-year-old Into Mischief gelding has won two of three at the trip, including an N1X allowance; with this never-won-three condition, several of his rivals are in search of their first allowance win, giving him a bit of a class edge. Frankie Pennington, who has ridden him four times, including a victory, will be up here.
- Selections: 8-5-7-3
Race 8 – Allowance/optional claiming
- Fillies and mares three and up will go six furlongs on the dirt in a third-level allowance with an optional claiming tag of $65,000.
- Good field includes a couple of stakes winners and stakes-placed horses.
- #1 Lake Ponchatrain (9-5) continues to grind out good races wherever she goes. The Charles Town-based Ernest Haynes trainee was second last out in the Twixt at Laurel Park, that following a just-miss second in the Dashing Beauty at Delaware. She also was up late over the strip three back to take an allowance test. Johan Rosado, who’s ridden her a couple of times previously, will do the honors.
- #3 Hailey’s Flip (7-2) gave a good accounting of herself last out when finishing second at Laurel Park behind ultra-speedy Crabcakes, who blazed six furlongs in 1:08 4/5. The Gary Capuano trainee has done some of her best work at Delaware Park, winning three times locally, among those last year’s Tax Free Shopping Distaff. She finished fourth versus similar company back in June (the top three from that race, including winner #1, are all here), but that was her first of the season, and she may be ready to make noise today.
- Looking for an improved effort here from #4 Angel At War (5-2) after a poor outing in the Dashing Beauty, when she backed out after leading to the stretch. The speedster was undefeated in six 2017 starts and is winless in six 2018 starts, but she is four-for-six at Delaware and five-for-10 at the distance. Trainer Mike Gorham is having a solid meet and will leg up go-to rider Augusto Marin.
- Selections: 1-3-4-5
Arabian handicapping is provided by our friends at Arabian Finish Line.
No Arabian race today.