Vim won an allowance at Laurel Park on March 20. Photo by The Racing Biz.
From Staff Reports
YESTERDAY’S NEWS: CARDIO COWBOY TAKES PARX FEATURE
Cardio Cowboy had a happy homecoming Monday afternoon at Parx Racing.
The three-year-old, Pennsylvania-bred Petionville colt drew off to win the $52,000 allowance feature for three-year-olds going six furlongs by over a length in 1:11.93 for six furlongs.
The win gave the Ed Coletti trainee two wins in two Parx starts. In between his two Bensalem tries, he was up the track in the Grade 2 Swale at Gulfstream Park.
Monday, under Frankie Pennington, who won two on the card, Cardio Cowboy prompted the early pace of Eight Da Hardway, split rivals entering the lane, and pulled away to the win. Flashy Kyem rallied from the rear of the field to earn second, with morning line favorite Atizapan was another 1 3/4 lengths back in third.
The win, which was Pennington’s second on the card, pushed Cardio Cowboy’s earnings to nearly $88,000. Cardio Cowboy was bred and is owned by Everest Stables Inc.
- It was a busy day at the Parx claimbox. Overall, 10 horses were claimed, including three from the third, a $7,500 claiming race, and two from the fourth, at the $12,500 level.
- Trainer Harold Wyner took two races on the day. He scored in the seventh with Don’t Think Twice, who won by five lengths, and then again in the ninth, with Winter Ride.
LOOKING AHEAD: TODAY’S RACING
- Parx Racing, the only track in the region to race Tuesday, has a nine-race card on the docket.
- Captain Carchy is the 2-1 morning line favorite in race six, a maiden special weight test for three-year-olds and up going 6 1/2 furlongs. The four-year-old Louis Linder trainee is winless in 13 tries to date but has been second or third in four straight. Second favorite Bullish Bird (3-1) cuts back from a route distance at Penn National in which he coughed up a two-length in the stretch.
- Salty’s Hero (8-5) is the morning line favorite in the day’s eighth race, a $42,000 allowance for Pennsylvania-breds. Salty’s Hero, who was second last out against open allowance foes, will be starting for the third consecutive week for trainer Ramon Preciado; he was first on March 14 before that second place finish on March 21.