Who’re we watching? Let’s see what’s on tap in the mid-Atlantic this weekend:
[su_list icon=”icon: clock-o”]
- Friday, 6:00 p.m. 1st post from Penn National, which is also the New Start Stakes for three-year-old Pennsylvania-bred fillies, going six furlongs. Look for either the Tom McClay Show (he owns a three-horse entry) or the Bernie Houghton Show (he trains three, including one of McClay’s).
- Friday, 8:16 p.m. Race 6 from Penn National is the Danzig Stakes for Pennsylvania-bred three-year-olds going six furlongs. Can favored Instructor Kunu get his first stakes win? Or will multiple stake winner Duff add to his total? Or someone else altogether?
- Friday, 9:55 p.m. Race 7 at Charles Town is the Old Glory Handicap for fillies and mares three and up going 4 1/2 furlongs. Mary Eppler trainee Just Got In, recently eighth on the turf in The Very One at Pimlico, is the 7-5 favorite.
- Saturday, 3:24 p.m. Virginia-bred Long On Value, ranked fourth among older horses in the Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred/The Racing Biz Top Midlantic-bred Poll, is 4-1 in the morning line for the Grade 3 Poker at Belmont Park. Among the rivals he’ll face in the one mile turf test is Ironicus, recent upset winner of the G2 Dixie on the Preakness undercard.
- Saturday, 9:42 p.m. No Midlantic-breds in the G1 Stephen Foster at Churchill Downs, but Commissioner, recent winner of the G3 Pimlico Special on Black-Eyed Susan day, is the 3-1 third choice in here.
- Sunday, 5:43 p.m. Talented Souper Colossal makes his first start since February in Monmouth’s Select Stakes going 5 1/2 furlongs on the turf. He’s the 5-2 second choice, and trainer Eddie Plesa has tapped Joe Bravo to ride.