From a Pennsylvania Horse Breeders Association release
Princess of Sylmar, the Pennsylvania-bred who won four Grade 1 events in 2013, has earned the nod as the Pennsylvania-bred Horse of the Year, as well as champion three year-old filly, the Pennsylvania Horse Breeders Association announced.
Those awards were based upon the recommendation of the organization’s Awards Committee of Jane White (chair), Susan Meckling, Connie Nesteruk, and John Benson..
Princess of Sylmar, a daughter of Majestic Warrior out of the stakes-placed Catienus mare Storm Dixie, had one of the greatest years for a Pennsylvania-Bred in history. A finalist for the Eclipse Awards, she won six of her eight starts in 2013 with one second. Princess of Sylmar was victorious in four Grade 1 races, including the Kentucky Oaks (G1), the TVG Coaching Club American Oaks (G1), the Alabama (G1), and the Beldame (G1). She also won the Busher Stakes and the Busanda Stakes and finished second in the Gazelle (G2). Bred and owned by Ed Stanco (King of Prussia Stable), Princess of Sylmar amassed $1,539,000 in earnings for her connections in 2013.
Princess of Sylmar debuted late in 2012, breaking her maiden in her second start at Penn National. She won that day by an eye-popping 19 lengths, won in allowance company next out, and has spent the rest of her career in stakes company. She is currently working towards her 2014 debut.
- Champion two year-old male: Storming Inti, Ch c., 2011, Stormy Atlantic-Tarfaya, by Pulpit, bred by Brushwood Stable
- Winner of 3 of 4 starts in 2013. After finishing 3rd in his first start in 2013, Storming Inti finished up the season winning his next three races, including The Awad Stakes at Belmont and the Pulpit Stakes at Gulfstream and earning $179,500.
- Champion two year-old filly: Miss Behaviour, Bay f., 2011, Jump Start-Successful Romance, by Successful Appeal, bred by Cal MacWilliam, Teitelbaum, & Associates
- Miss Behaviour won her first three starts in 2013, including the Sorority Stakes and the Matron Stakes (G2) at Belmont Park earning $242,000.
- Champion three year-old male: Edge of Reality, Bay c., 2010, Lawyer Ron-Our Nancy Lee, by Touch Gold, bred by The Elkstone Group LLC
- Edge Of Reality won 4 of his 10 starts in 2013 and earned $367,695. His biggest achievements of the year were his victory in the Smarty Jones Stakes (G3) at Parx Racing and a third place finish in the Curlin Stakes at Saratoga.
- Champion three year-old filly/Horse of the year: Princess of Sylmar
- Champion older male/Champion male turf horse: Real Solution, Bay h., 2009, Kitten’s Joy-Reachfortheheavens, by Pulpit, bred by Kenneth L. Ramsey & Sarah K. Ramsey
- Real Solution won the Arlington Million Stakes (G1) and finished third in both the Woodford Reserve Manhattan Handicap (G1) and the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational (G1). Although only winning one race in 2013 he managed to amass $675,500 in earnings.
- Champion older female: Moon Philly, Bay m., 2009, Malibu Moon-Astor Place, by Deputy Minister, bred by Ellen Dale Racing
- Moon Philly won 3 of 10 starts in 2013, including the Nellie Morse Stakes and the Maryland Racing Media Stakes, both at Laurel. She also won the Justakiss Stakes at Delaware Park and earned over $163,000 in 2013.
- Champion female turf horse: Emotional Kitten, Ch f., 2010, Kitten’s Joy-Silent Emotion, by Ghazi, bred by Kenneth L. Ramsey & Sarah K. Ramsey
- Emotional Kitten won 3 of her 7 Starts in 2013. She won the Hilltop Stakes at Pimlico and the Mrs. Revere Stakes (G2) at Churchill. Emotional Kitten was also graded stakes placed in the American Oaks (G1) and the Del Mar Oaks (G1). She finished 2013 with $317,693 in earnings.
- Champion female sprinter: So Many Ways, Bay f., 2010, Sightseeing-Happy Scene, by Dehere, bred by John R. Penn & John C. Penn
- 2012 Champion Two-Year-Old Filly & Sprinter, So Many Ways again captured the Champion Female Sprinter Category. She won 2 of 7 starts, including the Eight Belles Stakes (G3) and the Charles Town Oaks. Her earnings for 2013 exceeded $400,000.
- Champion male sprinter: Zeewat, Bay c., 2010, Harlan’s Holiday-Delizia, by Distant View, bred by Derry Meeting Farm
- Zeewat won 3 of 7 starts and over $200,000 in 2013. He won the California Derby at Golden Gate and the Damascus Stakes at Santa Anita. He also ran an impressive 3rd in the Malibu Stakes (G1) to finish out the year.
- Champion steeplechase horse: Divine Fortune, Ch g., 2003, Royal Anthem-My Tombola, by Northern Fling, bred by William L. Pape & Jonathan E. Sheppard
- Divine Fortune was again voted Champion Steeplechase Horse for third year in a row. He also earned the high distinction of winning the National Eclipse Award for Steeplechasers in 2013. Divine Fortune won the Grand National Hurdle Stakes (G1) and placed in the Calvin Houghland Iroquois Hurdle Stakes (G1) and the A.P. Smithwick Memorial Stakes (G1). He amassed $207,000 in 2013.
- Leading bred-fund recipient (horse): Dani’s Storm
- Champion stallion: Real Quiet
- Champion broodmare: Storm Dixie
- Leading bred-fund recipient: Xanthus Farms (Barbara Rickline)
- Leading breeder of Pennsylvania-breds: George Strawbridge
(Featured photo, of Princess of Sylmar, by Teresa Genaro.)