Maryland Million is one of the best days of the racing year in the mid-Atlantic region. This year it’s also the same day as another big regional day: West Virginia Breeders Classics.
And this year, The Racing Biz is teaming up with our friends at Maryland Million, Laurel Park, the Maryland Horsemen’s Assistance Fund, and the Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association to bring together this great day with a great cause.
It’s our first Maryland Million Charity “Play for Jose” Handicapping Tournament!
In September, Maryland-based exercise rider Jose Villegas suffered a nasty fall while galloping a horse. He is now paralyzed from the waist down, though he remains optimistic that he will walk again.
This Saturday, we’ll host our handicapping tournament with proceeds to a special fund created for him.
Here’s how it works:
- Sign up and make your selections here.
- We request a voluntary $5 donation to the special fund for Jose (you’ll be contacted after the contest to make the donation).
- Choose 10 races from among the races at Laurel and Charles Town this Saturday (at least five must be from Laurel).
- Make your selections — you’ll get a mythical $2 win-place bet on the horse you choose.
- In addition to your voluntary contribution, The Racing Biz will make a donation to the fund equivalent to what the top finishers accrue.
- One winner receives a $50 prize.
Good luck — and thanks for playing for Jose!
Not a handicapper but still want to donate? Click here to do so, and thanks!