Which Top Midlantic-bred Poll horses are in Breeders’ Cup?
A pair of horses among the top seven in the most recent Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred/The Racing Biz Top Midlantic-bred Poll are among the scores entered ni this weekend’s Breeders’ Cup races.
The poll, conducted of media members and other racing experts, identifies the top horses bred in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia and the Carolinas racing this year.
- Just One Time (PA), 4F by Not this Time-Ida Clark, by Speightstown; bred by Warrior’s Reward LLC and trained by Brad Cox for Warrior’s Reward LLC and Commonwealth New Era Racing. 2022 highlights: Won G1 Madison S., G2 Inside Information S., 3rd G1 Derby City Distaff. Previous poll: 1
- Caravel (PA), 5M by Mizzen Mast-Zeezee Zoomzoom, by Congrats; bred by Elizabeth Merryman and trained by Brad Cox for Qatar Racing, Marc Detampel and Madaket Stables LLC. 2022 highlights: Won G3 Intercontinental, G3 Franklin S., Smart N Fancy S., Queen S. Previous poll: 2
- Fille d’Esprit (MD), 6M by Great Notion-Sweet Valor, by No Armistice; bred by Sweet Spirits Stables LLC and trained by John Robb for C J I Phoenix Group and No Guts No Glory Farm. 2022 highlights: Won Seeking the Pearl S., Susquehanna Valley S., Maryland Million Distaff, Conniver S., 3rd G3 Barbara Fritchie. Previous poll: 3
- Morning Matcha (PA), 3F by Central Banker-Home Ice, by Iam the Iceman; bred by Crane Thoroughbred Services LLC and trained by Robert Reid Jr. for LC Racing, Cash Is King LLC and Gary Barber. 2022 highlights: Won Main Line S., 2nd G1 Cotillion, 3rd G3 Delaware Oaks. Previous poll: NA
- Fortheluvofbourbon (PA), 5G by Bourbon Courage-Nosubstituteforluv, by Not for Love; bred by Hidden Acres 4-D Farm and trained by Michael Pino for Smart Angle LLC. 2022 highlights: Won Maryland Million Sprint, Liberty Bell S., Banjo Picker Sprint S., Page McKenney H. Previous poll: Also receiving votes
- Aloha West (MD), 5H by Hard Spun-Island Bound, by Speightstown; bred by Robert Manfuso and Katharine Voss and trained by Wayne Catalano for Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners. 2022 highlights: Won Kelly’s Landing Overnight S., 3rd G1 Churchill Downs S. Previous poll: 5
- Knicks Go (MD), 6H by Paynter-Kosmo’s Buddy, by Outflanker; bred by Angie Moore and trained by Brad Cox for Korea Racing Authority. 2022 highlights: 2nd G1 Pegasus World Cup. Previous poll: 6
Also receiving votes: Eastern Bay, Beren, Muad’dib, Cordmaker, Leader of the Band, Whereshetoldmetogo, Justwaveandsmile, Malibu Beauty, Green Up, Ournationonparade, Tappin Cat
Note: All horses listed at their 2022 ages.
The poll leader is Just One Time. The Not This Time filly, however, has been idle since finishing third in the Grade 1 Derby City Distaff in May.
The two poll horses targeting Breeders’ Cup contests are Caravel and Aloha West.
Caravel is second in the most recent poll. A Pennsylvania-bred mare trained by Brad Cox, Caravel has won a pair of Grade 3 races among her four stakes triumphs this year. The daughter of Mizzen Mast was bred by Elizabeth Merryman, who trained and owned her for the early portion of her career.
- Court ruling on HISA to have limited impact, for nowThe status of the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act (HISA) is uncertain following a court’s recent ruling it is unconstitutional.
Caravel is slated to take on the boys in the $1 million Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint and will have Tyler Gaffalione in the irons. Caravel was 12th in this event a year ago and sixth in a turf sprint stake against the boys May 6 at Churchill Downs. She is 20-1 on the morning line.
Maryland-bred Aloha West rallied very late to win the Breeders’ Cup Sprint a year ago, and the Hard Spun horse will attempt to defend his title this year. He has been idle since registering a minor stakes win in July, and prior to that had been third and fourth in a pair of Grade 1 events. As a result, last year’s win in this Grade 1 event remains his only graded stakes victory.
Aloha West, sixth in the most recent poll, is trained by Wayne Catalano for Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners and will have Luis Saez in the irons. He is 12-1 on the morning line.
The only other Midlantic-bred entered in a Breeders’ Cup race is the Pennsylvania-bred I’m Very Busy in Friday’s Juvenile Turf. The Chad Brown-trained Cloud Computing colt was bred by Glenn Brok LLC and Mark Toothaker.
The monthly Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred is the only publication devoted to Thoroughbred breeding and racing in the Mid-Atlantic region. The Racing Biz, an online publication, is the independent voice for mid-Atlantic racing and breeding.
The poll is conducted of media members and others involved in the Thoroughbred industry and restricted to horses that have run in 2022 and were bred in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, New Jersey, Delaware, and the Carolinas.
- Nick Sanna’s long journey to the winner’s circleLong before he owned horses, Nick Sanna had a job sweeping up after the races at Delaware Park. It’s been quite a journey.
Participating Voters: Ted Black (freelance writer), Michael Campbell (Thoroughbred Breeders’ Association of New Jersey), Joe Clancy (Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred), Cindy Deubler (Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred), Linda Dougherty (freelance), Debbie Easter (Virginia Thoroughbred Association), Paul Espinosa (Charles Town Races), Rich Glazier (Delaware Park), Cricket Goodall (Maryland Horse Breeders Association), Jim Hague (freelance), Nick Hahn (freelance), Carol Holden (West Virginia Breeders Classics), Tom LaMarra (Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association), Jeff Nations (freelance), Vinnie Perrone (freelance), Frank Petramalo (Virginia Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association), John Piassek (freelance), Gary Quill (The Racing Biz), David Richardson (Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association), Brian Sanfratello (Pennsylvania Horse Breeders Association), Chris Sobocinski (Delaware Park), Dan Tordjman (freelance), Frank Vespe (The Racing Biz), Bill Watson (freelance), Lydia Williams (freelance), Bobby Zen (freelance).