Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks August 19
In Spa Selections, Saratoga correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Follow along all meet with all the exciting action (and good betting opportunities)!
- Trainer Michael Pino reaches 2,000 winsTrainer Michael Pino went 2-for-2 today at Parx Racing to reach 2,000 wins in a career which has seen his runners earn over $43 million.
Race 7 – Alw 115000n1x
1. #5 Crowding Out (5-2) – The connections make this one the top choice, but a sneaky even field here with plenty who have races good enough to compete
2. #10 Osiria (9-2) – Adds blinkers and should be aggressive here, but had trouble holding on in the stretch last time even at this same short distance
3. #7 Caironi (15-1) – Will be better value than A Little Faith and should be closing here with the right pace set up if Carmouche positions her well from the break
4. #2 American Starlet (9-2) – This Wesley Ward trainee has run against the boys multiple times, faring well with her one race against fillies ending in a near victory at stakes level
Race 8 – Summer Colony Stakes
1. #3 Envoutante (3-1) – Comes out of a grade I try where she didn’t break sharply, but if Leparoux can get her close to the lead here, she has the past performances to win
2. #7 Bonny South (5-2) – This classy mare is almost always competitive, but has a slew of seconds and may need the right set up to close from further back against this group
3. #1 Army Wife (7-2) – Loses Rosario to Leader of the Band, but has good class and is very consistent at finishing in the top four and typically hitting the board
4. #4 Leader of the Band (4-1) – Picks up Rosario here and is a graded winner, plus should improve after a second place finish to Search Results last time out
Race 9 – Claiming 50000
1. #3 Hatari (7-2) – Took a clear step forward last time and can win here with a repeat of that effort, and keeps Irad Ortiz who gave her a good trip in her first turf win
2. #6 Diva Ready (3-1) – Dropped into claiming company last time and still wasn’t able to pick up a win, but was bet to favorite and finished second, plus won an open maiden race
3. #2 Radiant Gem (8-1) – Has run well at this distance but struggled when stepping up into allowance company, so a return to claimers could lead to a better result here
4. #5 Rosemary Potatoes (6-1) – Has run better on turf than dirt and is another to drop back into claimers after a step up, plus should be a good value play in exotics
Race 10 – Skidmore Stakes
1. #8 Appraise (3-1) – Won narrowly first time out for Chad Brown at this distance and over this turf course, so gets an edge over the others here and could sit a nice stalking trip
2. #10 Cadillac Candy (15-1) – Tougher post, but won at five furlongs last time against higher class maidens as the favorite and has the form to be in the mix here
3. #3 Oxymore (9-5) – Won by six lengths in his debut, now running for Chad Brown and needs to get clear of the others here to win but his first race puts him at least in the top two
4. #2 Fadethenoise (8-1) – Took a big step forward with his switch to turf second time out, and can compete here with continued improvement after an easy win last time