Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks August 14
In Spa Selections, Saratoga correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Follow along all meet with all the exciting action (and good betting opportunities)!
- Charles Town picks and analysis: October 1We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
Race 8 – OC 65200n2x
1. #4 Betsy Blue (2-1) – This one was sitting on a nice effort last time, but still came up just short which has been an issue at Saratoga, but she is primed for a win at this distance
2. #5 Brattle House (1-1) – Deserved favorite who has never finished worse than second, she will grab the early lead but seems best going eight furlongs
3. #2 Halo City (12-1) – Has finished second in both tries at the Spa, and is one that could make a nice move late if Brattle House goes too fast and should be a good price
4. #6 Sweet Willemina (9-2) – Hits the board at a pretty good clip, albeit usually against softer competition, but a consistent 2. performer who can run with this group
Race 9 – Mahony Stakes
1. #2 Big Invasion (1-2) – This colt wins based on his victory in the Grade III Quick Call as Joel Rosario should have him moving late
2. #5 That’s Right (6-1) – Has some early speed that makes him dangerous at a shorter distance such as this, with a perfect record at five and a half
3. #6 Surprise Boss (15-1) – Did the dirty work last time, but has run well at Saratoga and could win with a stalking trip as well as on the lead
4. #7 Determined Kingdom (20-1) – Has run his best at this distance, and should be a good number that can run well if That’s Right and Surprise Boss go out too fast
Race 10 – Alw 50000s
1. #8 Relate (9-2) – Off the claim for Todd Pletcher, this one won impressively last time out in maiden claiming company, but should continue to improve after clearly taking well to the turf
2. #2 Brazillionaire (4-1) – Won last time over this track, and has hit the board in ten of eleven lifetime on the turf so maybe the most consistent runner here
3. #3 Reckless Spirit (8-5) – Doesn’t seem to win as often as he should, even when dropping down to claimers, but still higher upside than most here
4. #9 Seaver (6-1) – Got the right pace last time but still wasn’t able to hang on, although seems to be on the improve and gets a suitable distance at a mile here