Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks August 22
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Alw 103000n1x
1. #5 Box N Score (9-5) – Won’t have an issue with this distance, and has consistently been in the mix, although the winning troubles could be cause for concern
2. #4 Actuary (6-1) – Not a great effort last time, but still has upside and room to improve with added distance and a better trip this time around
3. #1 Rhythm Section (9-2) – Will have difficulty trying to wire at this distance, but Jose and Maker can put this ridgling by American Pharoah in good position to have a chance
Race 8 – Clm 35000n3L
1. #3 Ahead of Plan (4-1) – With plenty of speed here, this Brown trainee should have the perfect set up coming from mid pack with a chance to pass them in the stretch
2. #8 Montauk Daddy (8-1) – Strong jockey trainer combo and one that drops from allowance company looking to go gate to wire here
3. #2 Lyrical Poet (9-2) – Another with speed, could make things difficult for Montauk Daddy and others, but gets a plus for having a win at this distance here a month ago
Race 9 – Summer Colony Stakes
1. #6 Gold Spirit (5-2) – A bit too close to the lead last time, but takes blinkers off here and still ran a close fourth, might be decent value
2. #2 Horologist (2-1) – Ran one of her better speed figures last time trying to go wire to wire, but Gibberish could make that difficult here, still a top contender
3. #4 Gibberish (7-2) – Another that possesses some early speed and ran well last time in defeat, but might prefer shorter although can still hold in the money
Race 10 – MC 40000
1. #10 Bail Out (3-1) – Three seconds in a row, and even with an outlandish twenty two races without a maiden win, seems like a good spot for a breakthrough here
2. #4 Leading West (6-1) – Has the ability to make big closing moves, and if there is more speed here than expected, this four year old could be dangerous late
3. #8 Voter Protection (9-2) – First time gelding has had trouble in his stretch runs, but drops from maiden company and should be competitive here
We’ve got Charles Town picks and preview today as the track presents its Friday card!
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.