Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks July 29
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – OC 80000n2x
1. #6 Regal Retort (9-2) – If she gets the right set up from Malibu Mischief among others, this mare could close late at a decent price if the entry takes a lot of money
2. #1 Secondary Market (6-5) – First part of the entry which should be favored and either could win with the right trip, although this one is more experienced over this track
3. #4 Finding Fame (6-1) – Not her best effort last time out, but runs consistently well and has finished in the money in all three tries at the distance
Race 9 – John Morrissey Handicap
1. #3 My Boy Tate (7-2) – Impossibly tough race, and despite this seven year old gelding not having much that separates him from the rest, he has run his best at Saratoga and in this class
2. #8 Jemography (6-1) – Takes a step up in class, but has been one of the more consistent runners of the group who may not win but could find himself closing into the money at a number
3. #4 Our Last Buck (7-2) – Might prefer longer, but has the right running style to stalk off the leaders who may go out too fast, and tough to make a case for Captain Bombastic’s recent tries
Race 10 – MC 40000
1. #8 Gabby Squared (3-1) – The likely favorite with her connections of Irad and Brown, and might be overbet but still can win if she is a bit more forwardly placed than usual
2. #5 Mothers Day Jewel (20-1) – Has improved in every race, gets a stretch out in distance which she will prefer, and picks up Ricardo Santana who is off to a good start this meet
3. #3 Satch (12-1) – Can make a case for Little Nutter at similar odds, but this first time starter by Palace Malice has a red-hot jockey trainer combo who are six of fifteen in the past year
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents another midweek card!
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Pimlico.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.