DELAWARE PARK PICKS AND HORSES TO WATCH: JUNE 9
Delaware Park has a nine-race card on tap June 9. Post time for the opener is 1:15 p.m., and we’ve got Delaware Park picks.
Also, check out Joe’s picks for every Delaware Park race on the Delaware Park simulcast feed!
- #6 Skamania (2-1) has the early speed to lead in this starter event but may end up biding her time just off the speed of a couple of rivals to her inside. Oaklawn form should suit her well here… #7 Shatter Me (8-1) could be beneficiary if the pace heats up. Will need her running shoes on here… Speedy #1 Foggy Flight (3-1) steps up in class off Lake claim, attracts Centeno in the irons… #5 Calypso Ghost (4-1) is another with early foot, has competed with similar…
- Though twice the beaten favorite, #2 Above the Limit (7-5) just looks faster than these… Draw a line through that last and the Trombetta-trained #4 Our Bella Nicole (5-1) fits snugly in this group, was a pretty good third two back at Parx…#1 Offlee Graysful (7-2) makes first start in the Contessa barn, has some work to do to catch up to punning name… #6 Helen Marie (5-2) faced better, albeit without notable success, at Del Mar, gets Lasix on and blinkers off today for first in Stidham barn…
- Wanamaker’s to sell 24 in upcoming saleWanamaker’s, the online auction house, has 24 horses catalogued for its next online auction September 29.
RACE 3 (scheduled for turf)
- In this second level allowance 5-furlong turf sprint, #10 Virginia Beach (4-1) has a running style that may help her. In a race with lots of early speed this presser who has faced tougher may have a chance to win late. She showed a mild rally last time after the race was taken off the turf at Pimlico. Watch for her to close in the final furlong… #4 Mumbai (9-5) looked very strong while rising from the maiden ranks in last at Gulfstream. She keeps improving in every race and if that continues, she will win today… #5 Woodbine Way (6-1) Looked really sharp in her turf debut in Tampa in April. Should get a piece of the exotics if she repeats that race… #9 Bound for Broadway (5-1) has run some good races on the turf including one at Delaware Park last year and is a possibility here.
- #8 Day (20-1) makes first start of the season and concluded 2020 on a trio of sour notes. But prior form competed with these and owns a win over the strip…#7 Muhlenberg (2-1) finds the bottom level today for second start off a four-month break… #6 Start With Yes (3-1) has lost nine straight versus similar but catches a tepid group today; Perez, who recently won his 1,000th, takes the mount… #3 My Friend Linus (9-2) gets bonus points for the name – he’s by Uptowncharlybrown – and drops out of better company for his first start since October…
RACE 5 (scheduled for turf)
- The Jane Cibelli-trained #4 Walk Up Music (4-1) looks well spotted for first start since maiden breaker last October at $35k level. Trainer has good record off the layoff and attracts top pilot Paco Lopez… #10 Dance Pants (9-2) broke his maiden nicely last out at Tampa and finds a manageable spot to try winners…#3 On the Muscle (8-1) ran evenly against better last out at Aqueduct; show horse stepped up to win next out… The in-and-out form is a concern, but if he draws in, #11 Big Tall Dawg (20-1) will be a handful on best…
- In this six-furlong starter allowance, #2 Aspect (9-5) has won 6 of 19 lifetime starts and is coming back 11 days after facing tougher at a mile-and-a-sixteenth. Turning back to 6 furlongs and getting some class relief makes him a legitimate morning line favorite… #1A First Citizen (5-2) looks very dangerous here. All speed horses should be considered at this meet, especially when trained by Jamie Ness and ridden by Jaime Rodriguez, who have both been tearing it up locally... #3 Tudox Expectations (6-1) is a Tampa shipper; those have done well at this meet so far, and he won at Delaware last year. He could shock today… #4 Alwaysinahurry (8-1) is the only three-year-old in the race and could make a run if he improved after his two year old season.
- Off the Pace: Scheduling towards full fieldsIn a new “Off the Pace”: Mike Valiante proposes a new schedule for Mid-Atlantic racing designed to promote full fields and minimize disruption.
RACE 7 (scheduled for turf)
- Blinkers go on #6 Not Shy (7-2) after a decent try against slightly better last out at Tampa. First start in the Hendriks barn…#3 Sally’s Mustang (8-1) made a bit of a middle move last out at Pimlico in her first try on the lawn and can improve here today. The runner-up came back to graduate against similar… #8 Goodbye Carolina (9-2) has made two credible starts to date and fits with these… #7 Peppi’s Surprise (5-1) makes career bow for trainer Graham Motion and has a lengthy string of works under her belt…
RACE 8 — OBEAH STAKES
- This is Delaware Park’s first stakes race of the year, the $100,000 Obeah for fillies and mares at 1 1/16 miles on the dirt. #8 Miss Marissa (8-1) Is the speed of the race. The Delaware Park dirt track has been very speed-favoring lately. She’s dangerous based her early running style and has the class to go wire to wire if she gets free. 2 Crystal Ball (5-1) has run a couple big races this year after a layoff. The only bad race of her career was in the Grade 1 Alabama last year where 1 1/4 miles against Preakness winner Swiss Skydiver was too tough. Rodolphe Brisset recently took over training duties from Bob Baffert and hopefully the transition won’t cause problems in this race… #14 Artful Splatter (15-1) lacks some of the class of others here, but has run well over the Delaware Park surface before, which is always a positive… #3 Bajan Girl (6-1) has been running in stakes company and holding her own against some very good horses…
- Good try last out for #2 Grandmary (4-1) could presage a winning effort today… Added ground could be a positive for #6 Colonel Bailey (6-1), who rallied to place last time going six furlongs and has breeding that suggests routes a plus… #5 Cross the Mersey (5-1) is cleverly named, not very fast… #8 Time Sensitive (5-2) hasn’t been on dirt since career bow 10 back. Drops to lowest level.