Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks September 4
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 1 – Seeking the Ante Stakes
1. #1 Make Mischief (5-2) – Drops out of two straight graded stakes tries where she finished in the money, and should improve against this group
2. #6 Queen Arella (8-1) – Wasn’t competitive in the Scuylerville, but should have a bounce-back performance here at a decent price
3. #2 Rossa Veloce (2-1) – Showed good upside in her only start, and may be able to control this race
Race 3 – Albany Stakes
1. #4 Chestertown (6-5) – Hasn’t been winning recently, but should run well against this group and comes out of a Grade III
2. #3 Turbo Drive (12-1) – Interesting entry here for Michael Maker who has had success on the turf with this gelding plus will be a good price
3. #6 City Man (8-5) – Has had winning troubles, but adds blinkers and switches from turf to dirt where he has both of his wins
Race 5 – Yaddo Stakes
1. #4 Classic Lady (2-1) – Has finished second or better in her last eight starts, and reverting to a mid-pack trip with more pace here could give her a second straight win
2. #2 Fifty Five (1-1) – The most likely winner here, and if she gets the right trip may be a slight cut above the others
3. #6 War Canoe (4-1) – Has been putting forth sneaky good efforts recently, nearly beating Classic Lady last time out, so a good trip here could lead to an upset
Race 7 – Funny Cide Stakes
1. #4 Lookin for Trouble (7-2) – Showed improvement last time at the Spa, and keeps Jose Ortiz here against an evenly-matched field
2. #5 Effinity (4-1) – Saez will likely be aggressive with this colt by Effinex who should adjust well to the added furlong
3. #1 Eagle Orb (3-1) – The only one here who has won at six furlongs also over this track, and seems to be in good form
Race 10 – Fleet Indian Stakes
1. #3 Sharp Starr (7-2) – Was closing well in the stretch at this distance last time, so a second chance going two turns should lead to a good effort
2. #5 Critical Value (8-5) – Has won easily against similar company, and despite this maybe not being her best distance, is still the best here
3. #1 Making Cents (9-2) – Can run her best with a stalking trip here and gets Luis Saez to stay in the irons for Jeremiah Englehart
Race 11 – West Point Stakes
1. #4 Gucci Factor (5-2) – Didn’t finish after coming off a long layoff against top company, but still has the best efforts of this field at this distance
2. #7 Therapist (2-1) – Nearly won closing from eighteen lengths off the leader last time out, and should finish in the money at the very least
3. #5 Rinaldi (6-1) – Has the potential to go wire to wire here, and despite the step up in class has run some of his best races at Saratoga
John Piassek handicaps Sunday’s 8-race card at Laurel Park!
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
Happy Maryland Million day! John Piassek has the 12-race card covered here.