Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks September 4
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 1 – Seeking the Ante Stakes
1. #1 Make Mischief (5-2) – Drops out of two straight graded stakes tries where she finished in the money, and should improve against this group
2. #6 Queen Arella (8-1) – Wasn’t competitive in the Scuylerville, but should have a bounce-back performance here at a decent price
3. #2 Rossa Veloce (2-1) – Showed good upside in her only start, and may be able to control this race
Race 3 – Albany Stakes
1. #4 Chestertown (6-5) – Hasn’t been winning recently, but should run well against this group and comes out of a Grade III
2. #3 Turbo Drive (12-1) – Interesting entry here for Michael Maker who has had success on the turf with this gelding plus will be a good price
3. #6 City Man (8-5) – Has had winning troubles, but adds blinkers and switches from turf to dirt where he has both of his wins
Race 5 – Yaddo Stakes
1. #4 Classic Lady (2-1) – Has finished second or better in her last eight starts, and reverting to a mid-pack trip with more pace here could give her a second straight win
2. #2 Fifty Five (1-1) – The most likely winner here, and if she gets the right trip may be a slight cut above the others
3. #6 War Canoe (4-1) – Has been putting forth sneaky good efforts recently, nearly beating Classic Lady last time out, so a good trip here could lead to an upset
Race 7 – Funny Cide Stakes
1. #4 Lookin for Trouble (7-2) – Showed improvement last time at the Spa, and keeps Jose Ortiz here against an evenly-matched field
2. #5 Effinity (4-1) – Saez will likely be aggressive with this colt by Effinex who should adjust well to the added furlong
3. #1 Eagle Orb (3-1) – The only one here who has won at six furlongs also over this track, and seems to be in good form
Race 10 – Fleet Indian Stakes
1. #3 Sharp Starr (7-2) – Was closing well in the stretch at this distance last time, so a second chance going two turns should lead to a good effort
2. #5 Critical Value (8-5) – Has won easily against similar company, and despite this maybe not being her best distance, is still the best here
3. #1 Making Cents (9-2) – Can run her best with a stalking trip here and gets Luis Saez to stay in the irons for Jeremiah Englehart
Race 11 – West Point Stakes
1. #4 Gucci Factor (5-2) – Didn’t finish after coming off a long layoff against top company, but still has the best efforts of this field at this distance
2. #7 Therapist (2-1) – Nearly won closing from eighteen lengths off the leader last time out, and should finish in the money at the very least
3. #5 Rinaldi (6-1) – Has the potential to go wire to wire here, and despite the step up in class has run some of his best races at Saratoga
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
Full-card picks & analysis for today’s Laurel Park card!
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.